A pop-tart filled “skinny” protein shake.
I love pop-tarts. I don’t necessarily think they taste the greatest, but it’s the idea of them that I love. Quick & on the go food. Heat them up or eat em cold. Sprinkles. Exciting flavors…the list goes on.
As great as pop-tarts are, they aren’t the healthiest breakfast option. Namely the 400 calories of refined and processed sugars in just one package.
Since pop-tarts don’t offer any great nutritional value, I thought I’d make a healthy breakfast, post-workout, or snack shake that tastes like a pop-tart, but a lot healthier. Yay!
This shake is packed with protein from the vanilla Greek yogurt and strawberry protein powder.
The optional ingredients are what really make this shake taste like pop-tarts. They are: sprinkles and a Special K Pastry Crisp. Special K has some delicious pastry crisps that taste like a healthier pop-tart. I love them! They make a great and low calorie (100 calories for 2 pastry crisps) treat.
Some other great news about this shake:
- You can eat it on-the-go just like pop-tarts. Just pour the prepared shake in a bottle with a lid and you are ready to go!
- The preparation time isn’t too much longer than pulling out a toaster and waiting for two pop-tarts to get warmed all the way through.
- With all of the protein in this shake, it should keep you fuller for longer than the processed and refined sugars in a normal pop-tart.
- Aaaaaand, your body will feel better eating this shake over eating a package of pop-tarts. (And isn’t that the best reason of all?!)
- 1/2 cup Vanilla 0% Greek yogurt
- 1/2 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk can sub another milk
- 3 tablespoons strawberry protein powder
- 1 frozen banana
- 1/2 to 1 full cup ice depending on the desired thickness
- 1/2 teaspoon truvia can sub another sweetener
- Optional: 1/2 teaspoon sprinkles, 1 Special K Strawberry Pastry Crisp
Combine yogurt, milk, protein powder, frozen banana, truvia, and ice. Blend until smooth.
Stir in sprinkles and enjoy immediately. Crumble a pastry crisp on top if desired.
* I like to have small pieces of the pastry crisp throughout, so I don't blend it all the way. However, you can blend it with the other ingredients if you don't want any chunks left over.
Craving more “dessert” breakfast shakes?