A thick, creamy, and healthy pumpkin protein shake that is sure to curb your pumpkin pie cravings! This shake is made with good-for-you ingredients and tastes delicious!
Pumpkin protein shake
This pumpkin protein shake is thick enough to pass for a milkshake, but healthy enough for breakfast! There’s pumpkin, vanilla protein powder, and even a frozen banana in the mix. The banana adds creaminess and consistency of a real milkshake.
And one of the great things about this pumpkin protein shake? It’s the perfect way to use leftover pumpkin. A lot of pumpkin recipes only call for part of a can of pumpkin. Instead of wasting the rest, save it in the fridge to whip up this shake the next morning!
How to make a pumpkin protein shake
- Freeze the banana: while this pumpkin protein shake is quick & easy to make, it does require just a bit of planning to make sure the banana is fully frozen. I like to prep the bananas right after the grocery store so I don’t forget. Remove the peel, slice the banana into coins, place in freezer safe containers or bags, and freeze overnight.
- Measure: while it might seem silly to actually measure out ingredients for a shake instead of just throwing everything in the blender, I highly recommend measuring ingredients the first few times you make this or until you have a feel for the quantities. (Throwing random ingredients in a blender can often end up giving you WAY too much pumpkin protein shake or it can taste, well, off.) It’s also a good idea to measure if you’re tracking macros or calories.
- Blend: if you have a high powered blender (I recommend a Vitamix or Blendtec), you can add everything in and blend until smooth. If you don’t have a high powered blender, follow manufacturer instructions for what ingredients to add first to avoid cavitation.
Healthy ways to use the leftover pumpkin:
More pumpkin recipes:
- Pumpkin Cupcakes with cinnamon cream cheese frosting
- Pumpkin Cheesecake Bars reader favorite recipe!
- Chewy and NOT cakey Pumpkin Cookies
- Pumpkin Carrot Cake
- Pumpkin Coffee Cake
Ever wonder what a pumpkin pie would taste like blended up into a milkshake? Just wait til you try this (secretly healthy) pumpkin protein shake!
- 1 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk (or milk of choice)
- 1/2 cup frozen banana (cut up in coins and frozen beforehand)
- 3 tablespoons good pumpkin puree (I recommend Libby's)
- 1 scoop good vanilla protein powder Note 1
- 1 tablespoon almond butter
- 1/8 teaspoon EACH: pumpkin pie spice, ground cinnamon
- 8 ice cubes
Combine all of the ingredients and blend until smooth.
- Optionally garnish with graham cracker crumbs and enjoy immediately.
Note 1: the protein powder you use makes a huge difference to the taste of the shake. I recommend a whey protein powder that has some kind of sweetener added (Stevia). If the protein doesn't have Stevia, I recommend adding a few drops of vanilla stevia to this shake.