This Cherry Smoothie takes minutes to make and only requires FOUR ingredients: frozen sweet cherries, almond milk, frozen banana, and almond butter. It’s healthy, filling, creamy, and full of flavor! This smoothie is dairy free and naturally vegan.
We’re obsessed with smoothies around these parts; they’re the perfect way to start your day or quell your sugar cravings! Be sure to try our other favorites: the best green smoothie recipe, this mango smoothie, or an acai bowl.
A few months ago I shared this delicious blueberry smoothie. That smoothie has become one of my go-tos for a quick breakfast — it’s creamy, filling, and flavorful. After finding frozen cherries on sale, I had to try them in place of blueberries in the smoothie.
From the first time I tried it, I was hooked! Since then this cherry smoothie has been on repeat in my house and I have no doubt it will become one of your new favorite smoothies as well.
What can you do with frozen cherries?
Make a cherry smoothie of course! This smoothie is the perfect way to use up frozen cherries since frozen are better than fresh for smoothie consistency. Some other ways to use frozen cherries: try a tart cherry crisp, cherry danish, cherry jam, or this tart cherry rhubarb crisp.
Cherry smoothie tips
I know, how complicated can making a smoothie be, right?! But I still have a few tips 🙂
- Try to use high quality ingredients for the best flavor. There are only 4 ingredients in the smoothie so getting the best and freshest of each ingredients really counts! Make sure you use SWEET cherries not tart cherries for this smoothie.
- If needed add a little maple syrup, stevia, or honey to additionally sweeten to this smoothie. (I find the fruit sweetens it enough)
- Freeze the banana: the key to a super thick and creamy smoothie is a frozen banana! I like to prep the bananas right after getting back from the grocery store so I don’t forget! Remove the peel, slice the banana into coins, place in freezer safe containers or bags, and freeze overnight.
- Measure: while it is much easier to just eye-ball a smoothie and throw it all together I highly recommend measuring ingredients the first few times so you get proportions/quantities right. (Throwing random ingredients in a blender can often end up giving you WAY too much smoothie or tasting, well, nasty.)
Health benefits of cherry smoothies
- Frozen cherries: this fruit is high in vitamins and minerals, (potassium, calcium, vitamin A, and folic acid). They are also high in antioxidants and fiber.*
- Frozen bananas: this fruit is linked to moderating blood sugar levels after meals which also means it may reduce appetite as the stomach empties slower. The frozen banana is also the “secret” for giving this smoothie it’s creamy texture and sweet flavor.
- Almond butter: this nut butter is packed with vitamins, minerals, fiber, and protein. It also gives this smoothie so much flavor and increases the creaminess of it. The almond butter also helps to make this smoothie more filling.
- Vanilla almond milk: almond milk is low in calories and low in sugar while being high in calcium and other vitamins. Almond milk is also naturally dairy-free, vegan, and lactose-free. I like using vanilla flavored for an extra big of flavor.
*While I do have my background in health, (BS Exercise & Wellness) I am not a doctor or certified nutritionist. Make sure to consult your doctor or certified nutritionist as needed.
Cherry Smoothie FAQS
Can you blend cherries?
More delicious breakfast recipes:
- Ham and Cheese Quiche
- Blueberry Pancakes
- One Pan Breakfast Potatoes and Bacon
- No bake Energy Bites
- Our favorite Waffle Recipe
This Cherry Smoothie takes minutes to make and only requires FOUR ingredients: frozen cherries, milk, frozen banana, and almond butter. It's healthy, filling, creamy, and full of flavor! This smoothie is dairy free and naturally vegan.
- 1 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk (or milk of choice - Note 1)
- 1 cup frozen dark sweet cherries
- heaping 3/4 cup frozen banana coins (~1 medium sized RIPE banana)
- 2 tablespoons almond butter
NIGHT BEFORE: Peel the banana and slice into coins. Place the coins in a sealed bag in the freezer the night before making this smoothie.*
DAY OF: Combine the almond milk, frozen blueberries, frozen banana, and almond butter in a large, powerful blender. Blend until smooth. Taste and adjust if needed (depending on sweetness of banana you may need to add a bit of honey or maple syrup; we usually don't need to add either!)
- Enjoy immediately.
Note 1: Any milk works in this smoothie, but it won't be dairy-free or vegan with cows milk.