An easy and delicious dinner recipe — creamy sun-dried tomato, mushroom, spinach, and chicken tortellini bake prepared and cooked all in one skillet.
This post is brought to you in partnership with McCormick. As always, all opinions are my own.
It’s been a while since we’ve prepared an entire dinner in one skillet and I am excited to share with you this dish. A couple of years ago I posted this one skillet creamy chicken gnocchi and after learning it’s become a favorite in so many households I wanted to create an equally easy + tasty dish with some different flavors and ingredients.
This creamy comfort food is packed with flavor, but quite a bit lighter than most creamy pasta dishes. You’ll be amazed how flavorful the cream sauce is especially after you learn it has no heavy cream or half and half (low-fat milk and chicken broth/stock for the win on this dish).
As we’re still kicking off 2018 I’m aiming to continue to share better-for-you options that make keeping your healthy eating goals easy WITHOUT sacrificing flavor. And one of my favorite ways to do that? Lots of spices! McCormick spices add robust flavors and elevate ingredients without packing on the calories. We’re adding quite an array of McCormick spices to this dish and you’ll be amazed how much flavor you can get with a whole lot less calories!
The spices we’re using in this dish:
- McCormick Oregano Leaves
- McCormick Basil Leaves
- McCormick Parsley Flakes
- McCormick Paprika
- McCormick Red Pepper Flakes
How to make this Creamy Sun-dried Tomato and Chicken Tortellini Bake:
- Start by sautéing the mushrooms, sun-dried tomatoes, and garlic in a little bit of oil + butter. We’re using the oil from the sun-dried tomatoes which adds a good fruity olive oil taste and the butter adds some creamy butter flavor to the dish. The butter isn’t going to raise the smoke-point so you’ll still want to keep the skillet over medium heat. Once the veggies are slightly tender (they cook more, so just to a “crisp” tender stage) you’ll remove them from the skillet and set aside while we make the quick cream sauce.
- The cream sauce is a lot healthier than most — we aren’t using heavy cream or half and half and instead using a mixture or chicken broth/stock and milk. You can even make the cream sauce with low fat (1% milk) to keep it just a bit lighter.
- Once the sauce is nice, thick, and creamy you’ll add the mushroom + tomato mixture back in along with some rotisserie chicken, fresh baby spinach, and refrigerated tortellini. You’ll just stir it all together and add a bit of parmesan cheese on top and it’s ready to bake.
- The bake time on this dish is pretty quick; you’re looking at about 10-13 minutes total. With a relatively quick prep time you can definitely have this dish from prep to table in 30 minutes or less!
This creamy sun-dried tomato and chicken tortellini is super quick and easy to make — you can have it from start to table in 30-35 minutes!
How can you make the prep on this chicken tortellini bake as quick as possible?
- Use leftover cooked/grilled chicken or a rotisserie chicken. Fastest scenario possible: grab some pre-shredded rotisserie chicken meat!
- Grab some pre-sliced mushrooms. If you don’t have to slice the mushrooms you can save a couple of minutes.
- Use pre-washed baby spinach. Again, saving time by not having to wash and dry the spinach.
- Use grated Parmesan cheese. Usually I’m a huge proponent of using freshly grated cheese, but this dish works great and still tastes delicious with a good quality pre-grated Parmesan cheese (not the bottled parmesan cheese, but what you’ll find in the deli section of your grocery store).
With loads of flavor, tons of better-for-you ingredient choices, and a record prep time what isn’t there to love about this dish?! Enjoy!
More Easy One Skillet Dinners:
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter, separated
- 1 jar sun-dried tomatoes (1 tablespoon oil and 3/4 cup tomatoes), coarsely chopped
- 1 package (8 ounces) baby bella mushrooms, sliced
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/4 cup white flour
- 1/2 teaspoon McCormick Oregano Leaves
- 1 teaspoon McCormick Basil Leaves
- 1 teaspoon McCormick Parsley Flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon McCormick Paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon McCormick Red Pepper Flakes
- 1 and 1/4 cup milk (1%, 2%, or whole; not skim)
- 1 cup chicken stock (or broth)
- 1/2 cup + 3 tablespoons Parmesan cheese, separated
- 9 ounces refrigerated cheese-filled tortellini
- 1 and 1/2 cups shredded rotisserie chicken
- 2 cups fresh baby spinach
- Sea salt and freshly cracked pepper
Move a rack in your oven to the upper third of the oven and then preheat to 425 degrees F.
Place a large oven-safe skillet on the stove over medium-high heat. Add 1 tablespoon butter and 1 tablespoon of the sun-dried tomato oil.
Add in the sliced mushrooms and stir for 2-3 minutes. Add in 3/4 cup coarsely chopped sun-dried tomatoes and cook, stirring occasionally, for another 2-3 minutes. Add in garlic and stir for 30 seconds. Remove to a small bowl or plate and set aside.
Add the remaining 4 tablespoons butter to the skillet and melt. Gradually whisk in the flour until smooth, and continue cooking, whisking constantly for about 2 minutes. Add in all of the seasonings and salt + pepper to taste.
Very gradually whisk in the milk and chicken stock or broth until the mixture is smooth. While whisking occasionally allow the mixture to thicken (about 5 minutes). Stir in 1/2 cup parmesan cheese and allow to melt.
Add in the prepared chicken (remove skin and bones and shred or cut into small pieces OR use prepared rotisserie chicken that has already been cut into pieces), refrigerated tortellini (uncooked), cooked mushrooms and tomatoes mixture, and spinach. Stir until all is coated. Press the tortellinis below the liquid (if needed add a bit more milk or broth/stock).
Top with remaining Parmesan cheese and place in the oven.
Bake for 8 minutes. Remove, and stir everything. Return to the oven for 3 more minutes or until tortellinis are al dente. If desired, turn on the broiler and then broil for another 2-3 minutes.
Remove from the heat, top with additional salt, pepper, and some chopped fresh parsley if desired. Enjoy immediately.