Look what I’ve got!: Disney’s famous Dole Whip copycat recipe! Frozen pineapple, vanilla ice cream, pineapple juice, and a few flavor enhancers come together to make this delicious Disney favorite in the comfort of your own home!
As a Disney fanatic, you can bet I’ve had my fair share of Dole® Whips, churros, and carrot cake cookie sandwiches. I mean, I’m obsessed with Disneyland, but I’ll be honest, the treats are my always my top priority. And since it’s not as easy to get out to Disney as I’d like, I’ve started making some of my favorite Disney treats in the comfort of my home, starting with this delicious pineapple soft serve.
Are Dole Whips only found at Disney?
The famous pineapple-flavored soft-serve frozen desserts have been sold fairly exclusively at Disney properties for years. But now, you can get Dole Whips in the comfort of your own home using this easy recipe!
Disney actually released the recipe for their famous Dole Whip dessert, and today I’m sharing my small tweaks on that recipe along with some tips!
What’s in a Dole Whip?
- Dole frozen pineapple: There is a reason it’s called “Dole” whip—because the starring ingredient is Dole brand pineapple. Dole’s frozen pineapple is the best I’ve found and is certainly sweeter and more flavorful than most other frozen pineapple. We’ve made these with other brands of frozen pineapple and there is definitely some flavor or sweetness lacking. If you can’t find Dole pineapple, I recommend getting a fresh, ripe pineapple and freezing it for this recipe.
- Dole pineapple juice: To really amp up the pineapple flavor, we also use pineapple juice. I like to get the small cans of 100% pineapple juice for this recipe.
- Vanilla bean ice cream: Regular vanilla ice cream also works, but we prefer the stronger vanilla flavor in vanilla bean ice cream. The difference is that vanilla bean ice cream uses actual vanilla beans while regular vanilla ice cream uses vanilla extract or processed vanilla flavor supplements.
- Vanilla extract: This extract is optional, but adds a nice complementary flavor enhancement to the pineapple.
- Pinch of salt: Salt is optional as well, but I’ve found just the smallest amount enhances all the flavors and helps to balance the sweetness of the Dole Whip.
Adjusting the sugar
Depending on the pineapple used, you may need to adjust the sweetness of this Dole Whip. If needed, add in a tablespoon or two of powdered sugar or a bit more ice cream. Alternatively, if it is too sweet, add in some lime juice or another pinch of salt.
Dole Whip “tools”
- Make sure to use a high powered blender or you may need to blend ingredients in batches at a slight sacrifice to copycat Dole Whip consistency.
- To get that classic swirl, you’ll want to use a frosting bag and star piping tip. Transfer the contents from the blender into the bag fitted with the tip and pipe the Whip into cups or bowls.
More delicious cold treats
- Ice Cream Sandwich Cake only four ingredients
- Mango Smoothie with strawberries and peaches
- Gelato two flavors (stracciatella and chocolate)
- Ice Cream Pie with a graham cracker crust
- Cherry Smoothie only four ingredients
Disney's famous Dole Whip copycat recipe! Frozen pineapple, vanilla ice cream, pineapple juice, and a few flavor enhancers come together to make this delicious Disney favorite in the comfort of your own home!
- 2 cups ripe pineapple, frozen (See Note 1)
- 1/2 cup 100% pineapple juice
- 1/2 cup vanilla bean ice cream
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/16 teaspoon (tiny pinch) salt
The fresher (and riper) your pineapple, the better this copycat Dole Whip tastes. I like cutting up a fresh, ripe pineapple and freezing it overnight for these copycat Dole Whips.
In a large, heavy duty blender combine the frozen pineapple, pineapple juice, vanilla bean ice cream, vanilla extract, and salt.
Blend until completely smooth. This takes a bit of patience because you'll need to stop and stir the blender a few times. Avoid adding extra liquid as it will water down the Whip and it won't have that soft-serve ice cream consistency.
OPTIONAL: Once smooth, immediately transfer the mixture into a pastry bag fitted with a large star tip and "pipe" the frozen yogurt into serving bowls or cups.
- Enjoy immediately.
Note 1: Use either Dole frozen pineapple or use a ripe fresh pineapple. Chop it into bite-sized pieces and freeze overnight.