A vegetarian cajun dish made in chow mein noodles and with a lightened-up creamy sauce. This dish can be ready in under 30 minutes and you can add a protein of choice if desired.
And here’s why – let me give you three quick reasons:(1) It’s the perfect side dish OR main dish. (2) This dish is totally customizable to your personal preferences. And (3) it’s a pretty healthy while still being a flavor-filled dish.
Are you convinced yet? 😉
So I said it was super customizable – totally is. You can basically pick the vegetables you want, and, using the measurements indicated, you can make it just how you like it.
For this particular dish I used an assortment of sweet bell peppers (I love the miniature ones!), roma tomatoes, mushrooms, broccoli, onions, and yellow summer squash. You can leave out or increase certain amounts of any one of those vegetables too.
And the other thing I mentioned – you can also add in a protein if desired. I personally think chicken would be great, but I think there are tons of options that would work out great. A thinly sliced flank steak would be super yummy…
The other ingredients are pretty simple – vegetable or tomato broth (chicken broth if you aren’t doing this vegetarian), low-fat milk, some cream cheese, and a tiny bit of flour. I used the full-fat cream cheese because there is so little of it in the dish, but feel free to use a lower fat or even a neufchâtel cheese.
Don’t forget to use your chopsticks! (I’m still practicing. AKA dropping all the food every time I try…)
- 1 package (6 ounces) chow mein noodles
- 1 and 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/3 cup white onion
- 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 cup assorted sweet bell peppers
- 1/2 cup mushrooms
- 1/2 cup yellow squash
- 1/2 cup broccoli
- 1/3 cup roma tomato
- 2 ounces cream cheese
- 1/2 cup chicken or vegetable broth
- 1/4 cup 1% milk
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1-2 teaspoons Cajun seasoning based on personal preference
- Follow package directions to cook the chow mein noodles. Drain and rinse under cold water. Set aside.
- Wash and then prep the vegetables: chop the onion, julienne the peppers (thin slices from top to bottom), cut the squash into small pieces, chop the broccoli into small pieces, and chop the roma tomato.
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, add the olive oil, onion, and garlic. Stir around until fragrant - about 30-45 seconds.
- Add in the peppers and cook for about 2-3 minutes. Add in the remaining vegetables and continue to stir until they are tender about 5-7 minutes.
- Remove from heat. Cut the cream cheese into small chunks and place it over the vegetables. Cover the saucepan with a lid and allow the cream cheese to melt over the vegetables.
While the cream cheese is melting, add the chicken or vegetable broth (chicken if this isn't vegetarian) in a small saucepan over medium heat. Stir in the milk.
- Very slowly add in the flour whisking the mixture constantly. Allow mixture to simmer on low until slightly thickened. Add in the Cajun seasoning.
- Stir the vegetables and make sure the cream cheese is all melted.
- Combine the vegetables and liquid and stir.
- Stir in the noodles and serve immediately.
Here are some more pasta dishes: