A bed of quinoa with marinated and grilled chicken breast topped with a fresh and healthy mango salsa.
So my husband and I both graduated college together.
Granted he was graduating with a Master’s degree and I got my Bachelor’s, but it was still really fun to graduate with him. We even got to walk together in the graduation ceremony.
The funny thing is, the husband keeps getting emails from a high school English class. These emails range from homework assignments to extra credit opportunities to grade updates.
At first, the husband was worried someone was missing out on these emails and he was being mistaken for a student in the class.
He sent email after email that he was not registered for the class. He even spammed the emails after continuing to receive them.
But they keep coming. And the teacher is convinced he is indeed in the class. Regardless of all that he says otherwise to her.
You know, maybe we could still learn a thing or two and can pretend we didn’t in fact graduate.
Like the good old times – sitting on the couch doing homework together. Except for the fact that I wouldn’t necessarily consider those the good old times… Homework was rarely considered a fun activity in my mind. Important, yes? Fun, no – not really.
But the more we’ve discussed it, the funnier it gets – the idea of doing one of the assignments and submitting it. Don’t worry, I’ll keep you updated on our grades in 11th grade English. Wish us luck!
But let’s move on and talk about these quinoa chicken bowls with a mango salsa. I’m pretty obsessed with them. They are pretty dang delicious and the perfect Spring slash Summer meal. (If it can’t be warm outside, I’ll pretend it is in the food I’m cooking.)
Anyways, these are pretty simple to put together. I marinated the chicken in a simple marinade overnight. Then the chicken gets grilled while the quinoa cooks.
The mango salsa is a simple chopping up and adding ingredients together. Putting it together – the quinoa goes first, next the chicken, and finally, the mango salsa to top it all off!
And now, it’s time for me to help the husband on some extra credit. We are really wanting to impress his 11th grade English teacher…
Have you entered to win $300 Amazon or Cash Giveaway yet?!
- 2 large boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 3/4 cup Sprite
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup quinoa
- 2 cups water
- 1 teaspoon chicken boullion
- 1/2 cup corn, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/4 cup red onion, finely chopped
- 3/4 cup mango, peeled and chopped
- 1/4 cup red pepper, seeded and chopped
- 3 tablespoons cilantro, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- Optional toppings: extra cilantro, an avocado, squeeze of fresh lime
- Combine the Sprite, olive oil, soy sauce, lime juice, garlic powder, honey, and salt. Stir together. Submerge two large boneless skinless chicken breasts (fat removed) into the marinade and let sit covered in the fridge for at least 1 hour and preferably overnight or 8-10 hours.
- Remove from the marinade and grill until completely cooked through.
- Meanwhile bring the water and bouillon to boil in a large pot. Once it is boiling, add in the quinoa and return to a boil. Cover the pot with a lid and reduce the heat to low. Simmer until the liquid is completely absorbed - about 12-15 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and fluff the quinoa. Let stand for about 5-10 minutes.
- For the mango salsa, prepare all of the ingredients by draining, rinsing, and chopping them as explained in the ingredient list.
- Stir all the ingredients together.
- Prepare four plates by placing one cup of quinoa on each plate. Top with 1/2 cooked chicken breast. Divide the salsa evenly among the four plates.
- Optionally garnish with cilantro and sliced avocado. Squeeze a wedge of fresh lime over the dish.
- Enjoy immediately.
More quinoa recipes?