A healthy and easy-to-make Greek quinoa salad with a simple dressing
- First off, I used black olives, but if you want a more authentically Greek Salad you can use kalamata olives.
- Second, in the instructions I say to stripe your cucumber. This is optional, but the skins in cucumbers have tons of nutrients and vitamins. So if you keep half the skin, you are getting a lot of good nutrients. Plus I think it adds more color to the salad! All you do is peel a stripe off the cucumber, leave a small space of skin on and then peel another stripe off. You continue to peel a stripe, leave a stripe, peel a stripe until the cucumber is every other.
- Another fun option you could include would be red and green peppers. You can switch up some of the vegetables in this salad with peppers or just add them into the mix.
- And finally, if you want a vegan option, just leave out the feta cheese!
More Delicious Salads:
- 1 cup quinoa rinsed
- 3 cups baby spinach, coarsely chopped
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes halved
- 3/4 cup black olives or sub kalamata olives
- 1 ripe medium avocado
- 1 cup cucumber chopped
- 1/3 cup red onion chopped
- 1/4 cup feta cheese
- 1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon salt or to taste preference
- 1/2 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Optional: 1 lemon
Thoroughly wash your quinoa and follow package directions to cook the quinoa.
Coarsely chop the spinach. Slice the cherry tomatoes in half and slice the black olives either in half or in slices.
Peel the cucumber in stripes or leave the peel on, deseed if desired, and chop into small pieces. (I leave seeds and peel on!)
Remove the avocado skins and pit and chop into small pieces.
Combine the cherry tomatoes, black olives, cucumber, and avocado in a medium sized bowl and lightly stir together.
In a small bowl, whisk together the red wine vinegar, dried oregano, and minced garlic Whisk in the salt and pepper.
While you are continuing to whisk, slowly add in the olive oil. (Alternatively, shake all the ingredients together in a mason jar)
Pour the dressing over the cooked quinoa that has been cooled.
Toss the rest of the vegetables in with the quinoa.
When ready to serve, top the salad with crumbled feta cheese. Squeeze fresh lemon over the salad if desired.
See the post for substitutions and more ideas to add to this salad.