A delicious and simple cheesy hashbrown casserole made in the slow cooker — perfect for a brunch! Top it with some bacon and it’s a sure crowd pleaser. Plus no “cream of” soups. You all know how crazy I am about my crockpot right? There are tons of crockpot recipes already here on Chelsea’s Messy Apron and (SPOILER ALERT) there are TONS coming this Fall! I’ve been working on soups and dinners and all with ease in mind. AKA all in the crockpot.
Anyways, one of my favorite features on a crockpot is having a programmable set time. So basically you can make something ahead of time and set the crockpot for when you want it to start cooking. It’s pure genius. And since I love crockpots so much and love you guys so much, I’m giving away one today!! (UPDATED: giveaway has ended and congrats to our winner who loves her new crockpot!)
Along with the giveaway, I’ve got a killer recipe to use in your brand new crockpot. This hashbrowns casserole is crazy good, super simple to make, and the perfect way to enjoy a great hearty breakfast without much prep.
A lot of hashbrown casserole recipes use cream of condensed soups. This recipe is different in the sense that you make your own. It takes just a tiny bit more prep time, but it’s so worth it for freshness and flavor. You start by making that quick creamy base and that goes into the crockpot.
The next ingredient is the actual hashbrowns. I used Simply Potatoes which make this casserole so easy. They use only real ingredients, are pre-shredded, and require no peeling. Plus they are fresh and not frozen which definitely makes this casserole that much better. You can find them in the refrigerated section of your grocery store (I always grab them on the aisle with the eggs, biscuits, and breakfast juices).
Dump in those hashbrowns with some freshly grated sharp cheddar cheese and it’s ready to start cooking! I like the freshly shredded cheese as the pre-packaged and shredded cheese tends to get a bit greasy in the crockpot. Once everything is cooked, top the casserole with whatever you like. For my family that is lots of pepper, some chopped bacon, and chopped parsley. DELICIOUS!
More delicious breakfast recipes:
- Quiche Lorraine
- Homemade Pancakes reader favorite!
- Ham and Cheese Quiche
- One Pan Breakfast Potatoes and Bacon
- Country Breakfast Egg Skillet
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup finely chopped mushrooms
- 1/4 cup finely chopped yellow onion
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup milk I used 1%
- 1/2 cup sour cream I used reduced-fat
- 1 (20 ounces) package Simply Potatoes shredded hashbrowns
- 3/4-1 cup freshly shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- Salt and pepper I used about 1 tsp. salt and a heaping 1/4 tsp. pepper
- Optional toppings: Cooked and chopped bacon, fresh parsley
- In a small saucepan over medium heat, melt the butter.
- Add in the chopped mushrooms and onion and saute until tender. Add in the garlic powder. Briskly whisk in the flour until a thick dough forms. Cook for about 1 minute.
- Very slowly add in the milk whisking constantly until thickened.
- Reduce the heat to low and allow to simmer and thicken. Remove from heat and stir in the sour cream.
- Spray a large slow cooker (I used a 6-quart crockpot) with nonstick spray.
- Pour in the creamy base. Top with the whole package of hashbrowns and the shredded cheddar cheese (I like to use freshly shredded as the packaged tends to get a bit greasy). If you like an extra cheesy casserole use a full cup, otherwise use just 3/4 a cup.
- Add salt and pepper and stir everything together.
- Cover and cook on high for 2-3 hours. Remove the lid and allow to cook another 30 minutes to an hour to get crispier on top. Just watch these times carefully depending your slow cooker -- if you have a really hot one it may be done sooner and a cooler one will take longer. Each crockpot is so different!
- Top with toppings of your choice such as cooked and chopped bacon, chopped parsley, additional seasonings, etc.