Ham and Cheese Quiche: the tastiest and easiest recipe! To keep things as simple as possible, we’re starting with a store-bought pie crust and loading it up with an easy mixture of cubed ham, cheese, and eggs. This quiche recipe is super simple to adapt to your personal preference; use your favorite cheeses, favorite meat, or play around with different seasonings.
There’s a whole lot to love about this recipe. Ham and Cheese Quiche can be prepared ahead of time, assembled in fifteen minutes or less, and leftovers store well. This is definitely a recipe you want in your arsenal for a last minute meal (breakfast, lunch or dinner!). It also makes a classy addition to your breakfast spread. Serve this quiche for brunch alongside a fruit salad or these breakfast chocolate muffins.
The easiest-ever Ham and Cheese Quiche
My sisters and I recently threw a baby shower for our cousin who is due in just under a month. We decided it would be fun to do a crepe bar (tutorial for how to make crepes here) with all the toppings, this bread pudding recipe, and some punch. With that much sugar, we definitely needed to throw in some savory! My sister suggested one of her favorites: quiche.
In the days leading up to the shower as we were pre-making crepes and working on decorations, I worked on a quiche recipe with a homemade pie crust and perhaps an over-complicated filling. My sisters vetoed that quiche quickly.
There simply isn’t always time to make everything from scratch or over-complicate something that can be done very quickly. Especially, as they argued, since we were in a rush to make a lot of things in a short time period.
So I simplified things drastically and what resulted is this recipe. A store-bought pie crust, a simple filling, and thumbs up all around. My sisters were obsessed with the quiche and it was the first thing gone at the shower!
Below I’m share process for making this quiche, some quiche FAQs, as well as a few tips and tricks.
How to make Ham and Cheese Quiche
- Partially bake pie crust: Preheat the oven and bake the pie crust for 10 minutes.
- Cook onions: Melt butter in a small nonstick pan and cook onion until soft. Let cool slightly.
- Whisk: Mix together eggs, half-and-half, and seasonings. A large bowl with a lip is helpful.
- Add ingredients: Add in the diced ham (I buy store-bought diced ham or use leftover holiday ham!), Swiss cheese, and Cheddar cheese.
- Bake: Pour everything into the partially baked pie crust, set the pie on a baking sheet, and bake!
Ham & Cheese Quiche FAQs
Tips for making this easy quiche recipe
- Watch the quiche as it bakes. If the crust is browning too quickly, cover the outside ring of the crust with a foil (or a pie shield) to keep it from browning further.
- Don’t skip blind baking the crust. If you pour the egg mixture into the crust without baking it, that liquid will seep into the crust and prevent it from crisping up.
- Bake it on the bottom rack of your oven. You’ll want to bake the quiche on the lower oven rack to ensure every inch of the crust gets golden brown and crisp.
- Don’t over-bake! The best quiche will jiggle a little when you cut into (that tells you the quiche is extra creamy!) Bake until the edges are set, but you still have a little wobble in the center.
More Breakfast Recipes
Ham and Cheese Quiche is the tastiest and easiest recipe! To keep things as simple as possible, we're starting with a store-bought pie crust and loading it up with an easy mixture of cubed ham, cheese, and eggs. This quiche recipe is super simple to adapt to your personal preference; use your favorite cheeses, favorite meat, or play around with different seasonings.
- 1 (9-inch) frozen ready-to-bake pie crust (MUST be deep dish)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 medium yellow onion, diced
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup half-and-half
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- Fine sea salt and freshly cracked pepper
- 1 and 1/2 cups diced/cubed cooked ham (leftover holiday ham or store-bought)
- 1 cup swiss cheese, freshly grated
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, freshly grated
- Optional garnish: chopped chives, cooked and chopped bacon
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Place unwrapped frozen pie crust on a baking sheet and bake for 10 minutes. Remove and allow to cool slightly.
Add the butter to a nonstick pan and melt over medium-high heat. Add in the diced onion and cook 3-5 minutes or until soft and translucent. Add in the garlic and stir until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Remove, set aside, and allow to cool slightly.
In a large bowl, whisk the eggs until lightly beaten. Then whisk in the half-and-half, Italian seasoning, and salt and pepper to taste.
Gently stir in the cubed ham and both cheeses. Stir in the cooked onion and garlic.
Pour filling into the pre-baked pie crust (still on the baking sheet) and bake on the lower oven rack for 35 to 42 minutes, or until set and very slightly jiggly in the center.
Serve warm with optional garnishes as desired.