A quick and easy chicken tortilla soup recipe that can be made on the stove in just 20 minutes!
I’m excited to be partnering with Swanson as a blog ambassador this year to bring you delicious recipes!
Chicken Tortilla Soup
Who doesn’t like a good chicken tortilla soup? Certainly you do, and fortunately you’ve come to the right place. This recipe will NOT disappoint – you can trust me on that.
You might think there is no way this soup can be ready in only 20 minutes. But I’m here to tell you; no gimmicks; yes, this soup really can be ready in 20 minutes. And this is not one of those ok-ish meals that might have started in a box and you’re alright eating because it only took 15-20 minutes to make. It’s a knock-your-socks off flavor-packed meal you’d be proud to serve to company!
Still skeptical? Let’s break it down!
How do you Make This Easy Chicken Tortilla Soup in Just 20 Minutes?
The biggest secret here is to use Swanson Chicken Stock (or Broth) which gives us loads of flavor with literally no work at all (okay you have to open the can, but that’s not really work is it? I like Swanson Chicken Stock best in this chicken tortilla soup recipe, but their chicken broth works well too.
The other big time saver here is to use a pre-shredded rotisserie chicken. These are available at most grocery stores and are delicious and ready-to-eat. Just pull the meat from the chicken and pop into the soup and voila!
See? Told you we could do this in 20 minutes 🙂
Coming from someone that genuinely loves to cook and sometimes spends all day in the kitchen, there are days that you just really need a 20-minute meal that still feels and tastes completely homemade. Like, when both boys have the flu and you think you might be getting it too. Which just so happens to be how this soup originated 🙂
It’s adapted from a couple of reader favorites on my site — this crockpot chicken enchilada chili and this crockpot Mexican tortilla soup, but we’re making it a bit cheesier, exchanging a chili for more of a soup consistency, changing up the spices a little, using some rotisserie chicken, and making it ready in 20 minutes instead of 4-6 hours 🙂
Let me know in the comments how you enjoyed this chicken tortilla soup!
How to Serve Your Chicken Tortilla Soup:
- Start with tortilla strips! I usually buy mine at the store, but try these seasoned tortilla strips if you’d like to make your own!
- Layer on the avocados. I like to chop up an avocado and put it on the soup.
- Sprinkle on the Lime juice. I add a few squeezes of lime to the entire soup and then serve bowls with an extra wedge.
- Cilantro anyone? If you are a cilantro fan, load up on some finely chopped cilantro. If you aren’t a cilantro fan, just skip it!
- Pico de gallo. a spoonful of homemade or store-bought pico de gallo is always a fun addition.
- Finish with sour cream. Sour cream just amps up the creaminess of this chicken tortilla soup and if you use fat free sour cream you won’t be adding quite as many calories!
A cheesy and flavorful chicken tortilla soup that can be made on the stovetop in 20 minutes!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 of 1 yellow onion, diced (optional)*
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 can (10 ounces) red enchilada sauce (I use mild)
- 1 can (10.5 ounces) fire-roasted diced tomatoes with green chiles added in, undrained
- 1 can (15 ounces) chili beans in mild sauce (found near kidney beans in the grocery store)
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can (15 ounces) fire-roasted corn, drained
- 3 and 1/4 cups Swanson Chicken Stock** (you can use Swanson Chicken Broth)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 and 1/2 teaspoons chili powder
- 4 ounces full fat cream cheese, softened
- 1 package (8 ounces) sharp cheddar cheese, freshly grated
- 2 cups pre-shredded rotisserie chicken
- Toppings: tortilla strips, sour cream, avocado, fresh lime, and fresh cilantro
Place a large dutch oven or pot over medium high heat and add the olive oil. While that oil is heating, give a quick dice to the yellow onion. Alternatively add a pre-chopped onion (or frozen chopped onion) to the oil once it is hot and shimmering. Saute, stirring occasionally for 3-4 minutes. (While the onion is cooking, open and prepare cans.
Add in the garlic and stir for another 30 seconds. Pour in the enchilada sauce, the undrained fire-roasted diced tomatoes, undrained chili beans, drained and rinsed black beans, drained corn, and chicken stock or broth. Stir to combine and increase the heat to high. While it's heating through to a boil, add in the cumin, paprika, seasoned salt, pepper, and chili powder. Stir again.
Meanwhile, cube the cream cheese into small cubes (it should be very softened -- melt in microwave). Once the soup is boiling, stir in the cream cheese. Let that melt down a bit while you grate the cheddar cheese.
Briskly whisk the soup until the cream cheese completely melts into the soup. Stir in the grated cheddar cheese and stir until melted. Stir in the rotisserie chicken.
Serve with your favorite toppings such as sour cream (we use fat free), a chopped avocado, fresh lime juice, tortilla strips, fresh chopped cilantro, pico de gallo, guac, etc. -- whatever you like best!
*To make the onion prep even quicker you can buy pre-chopped onions. You can even buy frozen pre-chopped onions. **As is, this soup is pretty thick which is how we love it. If you want it thinner, feel free to add in extra stock/broth!