Delicious creamy white chicken chili made simple in the Crockpot!
White Chicken Chili
White chicken chili is one of my boys’ favorites, and I’m excited to be sharing a recipe that not only tastes incredible, but has a prep time of about 10 minutes. You won’t believe how easy this soup is to make! No pre-cooking or chopping ingredients — you literally add everything in a crock-pot and let it work its magic.
Besides being delicious and super easy to make, I love how hearty and thick this soup is – thick enough that you could use it as a dip. Fill up a bowl with it and serve with a bag of chips and you’ll have the ULTIMATE game day food!
One of the best things about homegating (tailgating at home!) is that you can enjoy a big hearty bowl of soup while watching a game! The soup can stay on the “warm” function of your Slow Cooker and guests or family-members can a grab a bowl (or a refill) whenever they want during the game.
How Do You Make White Chicken Chili?
- Start by thoroughly draining and rinsing the beans. This is huge for overall texture of the soup and it helps to control the final amount of salt/sodium in the soup.
- Add UNCOOKED thawed chicken breasts or thighs. Make sure you completely thaw the chicken before you add it in to keep it food safe. Chicken thighs are more tender (and I think a bit more flavorful), but if you use thighs make sure they are boneless and skinless.
- Add the rest of the ingredients: Fire-roasted corn and fire-roasted green chiles make a huge impact on the final flavor and add more depth to the flavor. You can find them next to regular canned corn or canned green chiles at the store. The seasonings are a pretty standard white chicken chili seasonings mix: chili powder, cumin, paprika, oregano, and salt + pepper. And last but not least you’ll add in some chicken stock. If you want this chili to be REALLY thick, just add one cup, but we like it best with 2 cups.
- Set it and forget about it! Let the slow cooker work its magic and within 3-4 hours (on high) or 5-7 hours (on low) you’ll have the best white chicken chili.
- Top it off: Toppings take this from good to great:: load it up with lots of fresh lime, fresh cilantro, tortilla strips, a good Mexican cheese, fresh avocado, and sour cream.
More Game Day Favorites:
Delicious creamy white chicken chili made simple in the Crockpot Slow Cooker! Perfect for game day home-gating!
- 1 can (10 ounces) green enchilada sauce (we use mild)
- 2 cans (15 ounces EACH) white (great Northern) beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken thighs or breasts, thawed not frozen, cut into large pieces
- 1 can fire-roasted corn, drained
- 2 cans (4 ounces EACH) diced fire-roasted green chiles (we use mild), undrained
- 3/4 teaspoon ground oregano
- 1 tablespoon ground chili powder
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 3/4 teaspoon paprika
- 3-4 tablespoons fresh cilantro
- Freshly cracked pepper and fine sea salt
- 2 cups chicken broth or stock (I like stock best)*
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- Pick your favorite add-ins: sour cream (we use low fat), fresh lime juice, additional cilantro, fresh avocados, jalapeños, Monterey Jack cheese, tortilla strips
In a 6 quart Crock-Pot® Slow Cooker pour in the green enchilada sauce, drained and rinsed white beans, and fat-trimmed boneless skinless chicken thighs or breasts. (If you use breasts, cut each breast into 2-3 large pieces).
Add in the fire-roasted corn, diced fire-roasted green chiles, oregano, chili powder, cumin, paprika, cilantro, and salt and pepper to taste. I add about 1 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper, but add to personal preference noting that stock does have a good amount of salt in it. Add in the chicken stock or broth. Stir everything until combined making sure the chicken is submerged in the liquid.
- Cover and cook on low for 5-7 hours or high for 3-5 hours or until the chicken easily shreds.
Remove the chicken from the crockpot and place in another bowl. Shred with two forks. Add softened cream cheese (cube into smaller pieces and melt in the microwave) into the Crock-Pot Slow Cooker.
Using a whisk, briskly whisk the cream cheese until it is smooth and completely incorporated. Add the shredded chicken back into the soup.
Serve with desired toppings. sour cream (we use low fat), fresh lime juice, additional cilantro, fresh avocados, jalapeños, Monterey Jack cheese, and/or tortilla strips.
Cook time will vary depending on which setting you use (low or high). *If you want this chili to be SUPER thick, just add one cup, but we like it best with 2 cups.
(Nutrition Facts do not include any of the additional toppings)