This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
A healthy, fresh, and flavorful one skillet meal – lemon chicken, red potatoes, and carrots. This lemon chicken and potatoes can be ready in 30 minutes or less!
What started as a “clear out the fridge” meal a few weeks ago has turned into one of our favorite weeknight meals. It’s easy, hearty, filling, AND healthy!
This lemon chicken and potatoes can truly be ready in 30 minutes or less with very minimal clean up!
How to make lemon chicken and potatoes in ONE skillet
Step One: chop carrots, red potatoes, & chicken
- The most important step for making this meal is cutting the components to the right size so they cook in time. Start with baby carrots and baby red potatoes.
- Each baby carrot is cut in 3 parts.
- Each baby red potato is diced into 8 to 12 parts depending on the size of the potatoes (to cut into 12 parts: halve, halve the halves, cut each half into 3 even pieces) (to cut into 8 parts: halve, halve the halves, cut each half into 2 even pieces)
- Chicken should be cut into 1 inch chunks
Step Two: saute carrots and potatoes
- Add butter and olive oil to the largest skillet you have and add in those prepared carrots and potatoes.
- Allow the potatoes and carrots to cook over medium high heat until beginning to get tender.
- MEANWHILE, you can prepare the chicken. Dab the chicken dry with a paper towel and then toss the chopped chicken with the flour, paprika, Italian seasoning, salt and pepper.
- It’s important to watch the heat and lower if the veggies are crisping/browning too quickly (otherwise insides will be hard & outsides burned) OR increase the heat if veggies aren’t beginning to get tender and lightly browned.
Step Three: add in chicken
- Move the potatoes and carrots to one side of the skillet and add in the chicken to the other side.
- Continue to flip and stir the veggies on one side. Flip the chicken to the other side and cook until no longer pink inside.
- Sauté the chicken until it reaches 165 degrees F. (I like to take the guesswork out by using a digital meat thermometer)
- While everything is continuing to cook, prep the lemon sauce that will coat everything: lemon juice, olive oil, and garlic.
Step Four: finish and garnish
- Pour that lemon olive oil mixture over everything and stir to coat. Simmer until that liquid is absorbed into the ingredients, chicken is cooked through, and veggies are crisp tender.
- Add some lemon slices on top to further infuse with lemon!
- Garnish with fresh parsley and enjoy immediately! This lemon chicken and potatoes meal is best eaten right as it’s finished being made.
More one pot meals:
- Sausage and Potatoes Skillet
- Pesto Chicken Tortellini
- Chicken Burrito Bowls
- Creamy Sun-dried Tomato & Chicken Tortellini
- One Skillet Creamy Tuna Pasta
A healthy, fresh, and flavorful one skillet meal - lemon chicken, red potatoes, and carrots. This lemon chicken and potatoes can be ready in 30 minutes or less!
- 4 tablespoons olive oil, separated
- 2 tablespoons butter (do not substitute)
- 1 cup chopped baby carrots (cut each baby carrot into 3 pieces)
- 2 cups diced petite (baby) red potatoes skin on (about 9-10 petite potatoes), each potato diced into 12 pieces
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts (about 2 large breasts)
- 2 large lemons
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- Salt, lemon pepper, and paprika, to taste
- 1/4 cup Fresh parsley, minced
Preheat a large (must be nonstick) skillet (at least 12 inches) over medium heat with 2 tablespoons of olive oil and butter.
- Once the butter is completely melted, place the peeled and chopped carrots in one section of the skillet and the chopped red potatoes in another section of the skillet. (See picture above).
Allow to simmer uncovered, stirring every 3 or so minutes, for about 8 minutes.
Meanwhile, remove the fat from the chicken breasts and slice into small cubes. Pat all sides dry with a paper towel. In a large bowl, add in 1 teaspoon paprika, 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning, 1 teaspoon fine sea salt, 1/2 teaspoon ground pepper, and 2 tablespoons flour. Whisk together. Place chicken cubes on top of spice mixture and toss to evenly coat all the pieces of chicken.
Spoon the potatoes and carrots over to one half of the pan and add in the coated chicken pieces to the other half.
Flip the potatoes and carrots around and cook for another 5 minutes or until easily pierced with a fork while stirring and flipping the chicken until no longer pink.
Meanwhile, zest one of the lemons to get 1 teaspoon lemon zest. Juice one of the lemons to get 3 tablespoons juice. Whisk in 2 tablespoons olive oil and very finely minced garlic. Pour over the ingredients in the skillet and gently stir all of the ingredients together
Slice the remaining lemon into thin slices. Add the lemon slices to the skillet and allow the ingredients to simmer on low.
Stir the ingredients often until the liquid is absorbed into the ingredients and the chicken is completely cooked through and veggies are tender.
Season to taste if needed (adding more salt and pepper) and sprinkle with fresh parsley. (Discard lemon slices before serving). Serve immediately.