Delicious, fast & easy to make, lightened-up (lower calorie) chicken salad sandwiches with no mayo and no Greek yogurt on delicious potato buns!
I can’t quite take credit for this recipe as it’s one of my mom’s creations that we ate on repeat a lot growing up.
You may have seen in the intro that the chicken filling is lower calorie and does not contain any mayo OR Greek yogurt. Pretty much every chicken salad recipe I’ve ever seen either uses mayo or replaces the mayo with Greek yogurt. And I think you all know just how obsessed I am with Greek yogurt, BUT I actually hate it in chicken salad sandwiches. ? It’s a substitute I just can’t do.
So the “secret ingredient” that gives it the creamy texture? A low-fat ranch dressing. It may sound weird but it’s totally addictively good and absolutely the best chicken salad replacement for mayo! Low on calories and fat and high on flavor!
By using a rotisserie chicken it cuts out a lot of prep and yields a lot of flavor! Especially if you get a pre-shredded chicken with the skin removed. Then you’re talking 10 minutes until these sandwiches are ready. However, if you are looking to lighten them up even more use your own shredded chicken. Sometimes I’ll cook a bunch of breasts in a crockpot with chicken broth and some seasonings and just shred those when they are all the way cooked through which is also delicious.
- 3 cups chopped rotisserie chicken skin removed
- 3/4 cup sliced celery ~4 stalks
- 1 cup sliced red grapes
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries we love the cherry flavored version!
- Reduced-fat ranch dressing
- Salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon poppyseeds
- Martin's Sandwich Potato Rolls
- 6-8 pieces Green leaf lettuce
- Chop the rotisserie pieces (skin removed) into small bite sized pieces and place in a large bowl.
- Slice the celery into small pieces and slice the grapes in half. Add to the bowl.
- Add in the sliced almonds (toast them for extra flavor) and the dried cranberries.
- Pour in the ranch dressing until it generously coats all of the ingredients. Add a pinch of salt and pepper to personal preference and the poppyseeds.
- Stir until combined.
- Top each roll with a piece of lettuce and a generous scoop of the chicken salad mixture. Enjoy immediately.
More delicious lunch ideas: