Simple and delicious comfort food: crockpot cheesy potatoes! The potatoes are cooked in the crockpot until tender and flavorful and then covered in plenty of cheese.
These crockpot cheesy potatoes make a great side dish to share with a crowd OR this dish is filling enough for a complete meal when paired with some crusty bread and the perfect Italian salad!
Crockpot Cheesy Potatoes
Crockpot cheesy potatoes are pure, delicious comfort food! The long cooking time in the crockpot allows the potatoes to become ultra soft and absorb tons of flavor. These crockpot cheesy potatoes are some of the best I’ve ever had and my boys are obsessed with this meal.
Tips for the BEST Crockpot Cheesy Potatoes:
- For the best crockpot cheesy potatoes, using high quality, delicious potatoes is an absolute must! I use and highly recommend Petite Gold (Gourmet) Potatoes
- Be sure to slice the potatoes thin and evenly. This will ensure that they cook through completely and get really tender.
- Adjust the spice to your and your family’s preferences. This cheesy potatoes crockpot recipe is not overly spicy, but the sausage and paprika give it a little kick. If you like your food really mild, you can leave out the paprika or replace the sausage with ground beef (just be aware that this will really reduce the flavor of the dish). Alternatively, if you like your food spicy, you can increase the paprika or replace the mild Italian sausage with hot Italian sausage.
How to Make Cheesy Potatoes in a Crockpot:
These slow cooker cheesy potatoes with real potatoes couldn’t be easier! All you have to do is brown the sausage and onions and then add them, the thinly sliced potatoes, seasonings, and beef broth to the crockpot.
Once these ingredients are in the crockpot, cook on high for 3-4 hours or on low for 6-7 hours.
Once cooked, you can add as much cheese as you desire! Feel free to mix cheese varieties, but stick with freshly grated cheese to avoid the waxy/cornstarch coating that comes on most bags of pre-shredded cheese.
What side dishes go well with these crockpot cheesy potatoes?
- I love having a fruit salad with all the meat and potatoes! Or, depending on the season, try a winter fruit salad.
- This Quinoa Salad would make an amazing side to this dish and make for a well-balanced meal.
- A cucumber salad or caprese salad would definitely lighten everything up!
More Comfort Food made in the Crockpot:
Simple and delicious comfort food: crockpot cheesy potatoes and sausage! The potatoes and sausage are cooked in the crockpot until tender and flavorful and then covered in plenty of cheese.
- 1 pound Mild Italian sausage
- 1 yellow onion, diced, optional
- 2 pounds petite gold potatoes, thinly sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon Paprika
- 1 teaspoon Italian Seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon Garlic Power
- Fine sea salt and freshly cracked pepper
- 1/2 cup Low-Sodium Beef Broth
- 2 cups Sharp Cheddar Cheese
- Optional: fresh parsley
In a large skillet over medium-high heat, add the sausage and chopped yellow onion (if desired). Brown the sausage and drain off any fat. Add to a 6 quart crockpot.
Meanwhile, thinly slice the baby gold potatoes (see second photo for size; just under 1/8th an inch thick). Add to the crockpot along with the paprika, Italian seasoning, garlic powder, and salt and pepper. Season to taste with salt & pepper; I use 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. You can always add more at the end 🙂
Add in the beef broth. Stir everything together and cover the crockpot.
Cook on high for 3-4 hours or low for 6-7 hours or until potatoes are tender. Once everything is finished cooking, taste and adjust salt and pepper to preference.
Add the freshly grated cheese in an even layer over everything OR on individual serving plates (we like this way best!) and allow to melt. Garnish if desired with fresh parsley.