Special thanks to Horizon Organic for sponsoring this post.
Sky-high bakery-style chocolate-chip pumpkin muffins that are flavorful, moist, and so delicious!
“Back-to-school” is a crazy time of the year, but I absolutely love it (now that I’m not the one actually going back ?)! It feels great to get back into a routine and to get a bit more organized after an albeit, fun, but less-than-organized summer 🙂
My toddler just started back to pre-school and, while he’s been pretty anxious about it all, he’s starting to feel settled into the new year. Although, he did already ask me when he gets to take a long break again…
One thing that makes back-to-school time easier is delicious after-school snacks! These muffins definitely fit the bill and they’ve been a huge hit at my home. My toddler literally eats canned pumpkin PLAIN from the can. So you can guess how much he likes pumpkin when it’s sweetened a bit and combined with spices 🙂
While these muffins aren’t the healthiest pumpkin recipe out there, they do replace a lot of fat/oil in a typical muffin recipe thanks to the pumpkin. The spices also add a ton of flavor in these muffins without adding on extra calories. And instead of using buttermilk (a typical ingredient in “bakery-style” muffins) I’m using Horizon Organic 1% Low-fat Milk! I love Horizon products and have shared about them a few times here on the blog. I love that their products are made with simple, recognizable ingredients — never anything fake or processed.
If you want to make one other healthier swap, you could change out the milk chocolate for dark chocolate OR for chopped nuts. You can also swap out some applesauce for the oil. While these swaps make them less “bakery-style” these muffins are still super delicious! Enjoy! 🙂
More Amazing Pumpkin Treats:
- The BEST Bakery Style Pumpkin Cookies
- Pumpkin Cupcakes with Cinnamon Cream Cheese Frosting
- Pumpkin Cheesecake Streusel Bars
- Bakery Style Soft-Baked Pumpkin Cookies
- Pumpkin Carrot Cake
- Chewy and Crisp Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Pecan Streusel Pumpkin Pie with Maple Whipped Cream
- Caramel Pumpkin Cheesecake Bars with a Streusel Topping
Sky-high bakery-style, chocolate-chip pumpkin muffins that are flavorful, moist, and so delicious!
- 3/4 cup light brown sugar, lightly packed
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup canned pumpkin, (grab high quality to ensure it's not watery. If you pumpkin is watery, dab it with some paper towel)
- 1/4 cup Horizon 1% Low-Fat Milk
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice OR white vinegar
- 1 and 1/2 cups white all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 and 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup miniature chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup regular milk chocolate chips
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Grease and lightly flour a muffin pan or use cupcake liners. Measure out the milk and whisk in the 1 teaspoon lemon juice or white vinegar. Set aside for at least 5 minutes.
In a large bowl, mix together the brown sugar, oil, eggs. Add pumpkin and milk mixture (it will look a little curdled -- this is intentional; we're essentially making buttermilk out of regular milk!)
In a separate bowl whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, spices and salt. Stir in both types of chocolate chips. Combine wet and dry ingredients and mix until JUST combined. Over-mixing results in denser muffins.
Divide the muffin batter evenly among the prepared muffin tin filling up 12 cavities. Each cavity should be 2/3 full with batter. Bake in preheated oven for 18-23 minutes or until a toothpick when inserted in the center comes out clean.
Allow to slightly cool before removing them to a cooling rack.
Muffins are best eaten within 3-4 days. Store muffins in an air-tight container in the fridge.
This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of Horizon Organic. The opinions and text are all mine.