A homemade healthy cream sauce coats your choice of fresh vegetables all over a bed of delicious cheese tortellini. This is vegetarian food at it’s best! Scroll down to the bottom for a chance to win a grill or $300 gift card.
I always look forward to summer food for three main things: grilling, loads of ice cream, and farmer’s market/fresh garden fruit and vegetables.
Growing up we always had a garden. Zucchini and tomatoes always did the best, but we had a lot of other things. Some of my favorite memories include making and canning salsa and making zucchini bread with my mom. It’s just quintessential summer to me and I love it.
I didn’t get the chance to have a real garden this year (unless you count my ridiculous amounts of herbs growing by my window inside) since we were busy putting in the yard instead and weren’t really sure how we wanted things set-up garden wise. So farmer’s market it is!
There is a really neat place about ten minutes from our house that let’s you go and pick blueberries. These blueberries are the biggest and best I’ve ever had; they are seriously huge and super sweet.
I can’t wait til we get to do that. Especially with the little guy. He cannot get enough blueberries!! He has gone through pint after pint of them and would eat every last one if I didn’t cut him off eventually.
So the dish itself is pretty simple and not too much chopping of vegetables. If you follow the recipe exactly – only broccoli, peppers, and carrots. But you can change up the vegetables for whatever you have on hand – from your garden, the farmer’s market, or the grocery store! Pretty much anything goes for this dish veggie wise!
While the tortellini is cooking, the cream sauce is made and the veggies are sauteed. It all gets mixed together and is ready to go. Under thirty minutes folks.
Plus if you want to add in some chicken or another type of protein, go right ahead. Some grilled chicken would go pretty well with this dish! Enjoy
- 1 pound (16 ounces) frozen cheese-filled tortellini
- 2 cups broccoli, stems removed and chopped
- 1 cup carrots, peeled and choped
- 1 and 1/2 cup assorted bell peppers
- 1 cup corn
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup tomato or vegetable broth (chicken broth can be substitute if not vegetarian)
- 2 teaspoons flour
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese (I used reduced-fat)
- 3/4 cup milk (I used 1%)
- 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese
- Optional: fresh basil
- Bring a large pot of salted water to boil.
- While the water is boiling, prepare the vegetables. Wash, remove the stems, and chop the broccoli.
- Peel and thinly slice the carrots. Remove the stems and seeds of the peppers and slice or chop.
- Pour the frozen tortellini into the water and cook according to package instructions adding in the carrots at the same time. Drain and rinse under cold water.
- Meanwhile, saute the chopped broccoli and bell peppers with the olive oil until tender. Add in the corn for 1-2 minutes.
- In a blender, combine the tomato broth, flour, pepper, salt, and garlic powder. Pulse until combined. Add in the cream cheese (make sure it is at room temperature) and pulse until everything is smooth and creamy.
- In a small saucepan, pour in the milk and bring it to a warm temperature. Stir in the cream cheese slurry slowly to the milk while whisking briskly. Once combined, stir in the mozzarella cheese.
- Combine the tortellini and sauteed vegetables to the same pot used to boil the tortellini in.
- Pour the cream sauce over everything and mix well. Adjust seasonings to taste and if desired, serve with fresh basil.
Now time for the giveaway!!
Eligible to one (1) winner residing in one of the 48 contiguous states. Must be 18 years of age to enter giveaway. Starts 12 am 7/14/2014 (EST time) and ends 12 am 7/21/2014 (EST time). To enter the giveaway, you must participate in at minimum, one of the listed entries in the widget and an email address must be provided. Winner will be announced via email and must respond within 24 hours of deliverance. Failure to respond will forfeit your chance in winning and a new winner will be chosen. Please be advised items may appear different from the photo shown. The persons participating in this giveaway are not held responsible for missing/broken items received by the winner. Good luck and thank you for your entries.