Special thanks to the Montmorency Tart Cherries for sponsoring this post. As always, all opinions are my own.
An addicting snack mix loaded with cereal, nuts, dried Montmorency tart cherries, yogurt-covered pretzels, and covered in a cinnamon-sugar coating.
As the weather warms up, there’s nothing my little family likes more than going for walks, picnicking, or going for a hike.
And no walk, picnic, or hike is complete without some good snacks. This snack mix will definitely be on repeat for our summer adventures, everyone in my family is obsessed with it. From the cinnamon-sugar coated crunchy cereal and nuts to the tangy yogurt pretzels to the ruby red sweet-tart dried Montmorency tart cherries — we love every bite!
Montmorency Tart Cherries
Tart cherries are considered a superfruit with many science-based health benefits. Scientific research suggests Montmorency tart cherries may help aid exercise recovery (which is why this snack mix is perfect for taking on a hike!).
Montmorency tart cherries have an appealing sweet-tart flavor that has become an increasingly popular ingredient due to their unique flavor and versatility in sweet and savory applications. These dried cherries end on a sweet-sour note, always enticing you to come back for more; they’re truly a great complement to this snack mix!
How to make this snack mix
- Start by tossing together the cereal and nuts: use any type of nuts; a combination of nuts is my personal favorite!
- Make the syrup that will get boiled and tossed with the cereal and nuts: once the syrup is poured on the cereal and nuts, work quickly to make sure everything gets well coated.
- Sprinkle on the cinnamon and sugar mixture: once everything is covered, bake the mix!
- Remove the snack mix from the oven: toss everything with a spatula, and bake again.
- Let the mix cool completely: then add in the Montmorency dried tart cherries and broken up yogurt pretzels. If the mix is still hot, it will melt the yogurt off the pretzels.
- I recommend using an extra-large sheet pan (15 x 21 inches) or two large sheet pans.
- Line the sheet pans with foil, parchment paper, or silpat liners so the mix doesn’t stick and make a big mess!
- Let the mix cool completely before adding in the tart cherries and yogurt-covered pretzels.
- Make sure the sugar syrup mixture boils for 1 minute; start the timer once it’s doing a full rolling boil, not just simmering.
Enjoying tart cherries beyond this snack mix
Unlike other superfruits, Montmorency tart cherries are available year-round in a wide range of forms such as dried, frozen, canned, juice, or juice concentrate. There are many different ways to enjoy them beyond this snack mix! For lots more tart cherry recipes, be sure to check out choosecherries.com.
An addicting snack mix loaded with cereal, nuts, dried Montmorency tart cherries, yogurt-covered pretzels, and covered in a sweet cinnamon-sugar coating.
- 4 cups Rice Chex cereal
- 4 cups Corn Chex cereal
- 1 cup mixed nuts
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, cut into 1 tablespoon pieces
- 1 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 1/4 cup light corn syrup
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 3/4 cup dried Montmorency tart cherries
- 1 cup yogurt covered pretzels, coarsely chopped or broken up
PREP: Preheat oven to 350. Line a 15x21 inch baking sheet (or 2 smaller baking sheets) with foil and grease with nonstick cooking spray.
CEREAL: Add 4 cups Rice Chex, 4 cups Corn Chex, and 1 cup mixed nuts to the prepared sheet pan.
SYRUP: In a heavy medium-sized pot, add the 1/2 cup butter (cut into individual tablespoons), 1 cup packed light brown sugar, and 1/4 cup corn syrup. Place over medium to medium high heat and stir constantly, and slowly, until butter is melted. Once butter is melted, continue to stir until the mixture comes to a rapid boil. Boil for exactly 1 minute, stirring constantly, and remove from heat. Add in the 1/4 teaspoon baking soda and 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt. Pour over the cereal on the sheet pan and, working quickly, stir until cereal and nuts are coated in the mixture.
CINNAMON SUGAR: In a small bowl, combine 2 teaspoons cinnamon and 2/3 cup white sugar and stir. Sprinkle over cereal mixture.
BAKE: Bake for 5 minutes, remove from the oven, and toss using a metal spatula. Return to the oven and bake for 3 more minutes. Remove from the oven and let cool.
CHERRIES AND PRETZELS: Once the mixture has cooled, sprinkle the tart cherries over the cereal. Break up the yogurt pretzels and add. Toss everything together, breaking up the cereal mixture as needed.