A simple and healthy crockpot dish of quinoa, sweet potatoes, shredded chicken, sweet bell peppers, corn, and black beans. The mixture is cooked in the crockpot, placed in corn tortillas and topped with shredded cheese, sour cream, and cilantro.
This crockpot meal is super quick preparation.
You don’t need to cook the quinoa and you don’t need to cook the chicken. Just throw those in. Open a few cans (namely some black beans, corn, and two cans of tomatoes), and chop up a few veggies.
I used mini sweet bell peppers and chopped off the tops and then sliced the peppers in thick slices. The only other vegetable that needs a little TLC is the sweet potatoes. Peel the potatoes and chop them into bite-sized pieces and they are ready to go.
Yes, I’m not kidding you. This meal is that easy!
Oh, and I almost forgot. Instead of listing off 549 different spices for you to measure out and dump in this crockpot, I just used one spice packet – a fajita mix. This meal just couldn’t get any easier!
Once everything is thrown in together, cook it on high for 2-4 hours watching carefully. And while you are waiting for the crockpot to do its magic, enjoy the wonderful aromas of one of the easiest dinner meals.
When everything is all cooked through, shred the chicken and give all of the ingredients a good stir. The quinoa should be fluffy, the sweet potatoes are tender, and the chicken will fall off your fork. Put a good scoop or two in some tortillas (corn or flour) and top with your toppings of choice.
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa, rinsed thoroughly
- 1 large boneless skinless chicken breast (or 2 small ones; 3/4ths pound)
- 1 can corn, undrained*
- 1 can black beans drained and rinsed
- 2 cans (14.5 ounces EACH) petite-diced fire-roasted tomatoes, not drained
- 1 cup chicken stock or broth
- 2 cups sweet potatoes peeled and chopped into small pieces
- 1 and 1/2 cups sweet bell peppers, (I used 1/2 an orange and 1/2 of a red pepper)
- 1 fajita seasoning mix
- Flour or corn tortillas
- Toppings: shredded cheddar cheese, low fat sour cream, cilantro, fresh lime, chopped avocado, guacamole, cherry tomatoes
- Thoroughly rinse the quinoa. Drain and rinse the corn and black beans.
- Combine the quinoa, chicken (cut into 4-5 even pieces), corn, black beans, diced tomatoes, and chicken broth in a crockpot.
Peel the sweet potatoes and chop into small pieces. Add to crockpot.
Remove the tops of the peppers and the seeds. Slice into long strips. Cut those strips into 2-3 pieces.
- Add the fajita seasoning packet and stir everything together.
Let cook for 2-4 hours on high watching it carefully so the quinoa doesn't burn. Do not cook on low (the quinoa gets mushy). Stir every hour if you are around the house.
When finished, shred the chicken, fluff the quinoa, and stir everything together.
Serve on flour or corn tortillas and top with optional toppings. For us, fresh lime, fresh cilantro, sour cream, and cheddar cheese is a must have topping!
For a vegetarian meal, simply leave out the chicken. *I re-photographed this dish and forgot the corn, but we always make it with it 🙂