Quick and easy BBQ Chicken Wraps filled with chicken, Colby jack cheese, avocado, chipotle ranch BBQ dressed coleslaw, red onions, and cilantro.
One of the lunches I had while in St. George was a BBQ chicken salad. It was seriously the best BBQ chicken salad I’ve ever had! Naturally, I wanted to re-create it for you all, but in a slightly different form — a wrap.
Wraps are one of my go-to lunches so I always love trying new things in them. My typical wrap is turkey, avocado, lettuce, tomato OR avocado tuna salad (can you tell I like avocado? So does the toddler!). This wrap is basically a BBQ chicken salad and it’s definitely going on the weekly rotation for lunches!
Since this wrap is for lunch, everything needs to be quick and easy! The chicken is cooked in one skillet (or it can be grilled). Then it’s just slicing some cheese, chopping up an avocado, and tossing a coleslaw package with a 2-ingredient dressing. That dressing? SO easy. Just mix some prepared ranch dressing (plain ranch or chipotle ranch if you like the chipotle flavor) with BBQ sauce. I used Hickory Brown Sugar BBQ sauce because I love the brown sugar and smokey flavor — it pairs so well with chipotle ranch.
Then what you pile on your wrap is really up to you! Our favorites? Colby-jack cheese, a ripe avocado, some red onion (actually I’m the only one in the family that likes red onions), and fresh cilantro.
More easy lunch ideas:
- Pineapple Chicken Salad
- Margherita Pizza (15 minutes)
- Chicken Salad Wrap
- Spinach and Feta Egg Wraps
- Tuna Salad
- 4 extra large whole wheat tortillas
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 (12-14 ounces) boneless skinless chicken breasts
- Seasoned salt and Pepper
- 1/2 of 1 (16-ounce) package (8 ounces) coleslaw salad mix
- 1/4 cup Hickory Brown Sugar Barbecue Sauce (I use KC Masterpiece)
- 1/4 cup chipotle ranch dressing store-bought or homemade, or plain
- Optional additions: red onion, avocado, Colby Jack cheese, fresh cilantro
- Heat up the olive oil in a large non-stick skillet over medium-high heat.
- Remove any fat from the chicken and rub seasoned salt and pepper onto both sides of the breasts. Make sure the breasts are about the same size and thickness. (If not, cut or pound them to be about even)
- Once the skillet is really hot, use tongs to place the chicken in the skillet. Allow it to brown for about 3-5 minutes and then flip the chicken to the other side. Cover the skillet and reduce the heat to just below medium heat.
- Cook for another 5-8 minutes (depending on how thick the breasts are) or until completely cooked through.
- Remove the chicken onto a cutting board and allow to cool while prepping the other ingredients.
- Toss the coleslaw with the BBQ sauce and chipotle or plain ranch. (To make your own chipotle ranch, click the link in the recipe above and follow the directions in that recipe post. Otherwise I find chipotle ranch with all the other dressings in the grocery store.)
- Top the tortillas with the dressed coleslaw and whatever toppings you enjoy. I put on Colby Jack cheese slices, sliced avocado pieces, some red onion slices, and fresh cilantro.
- Chop up the slightly cooled chicken into bite-sized pieces and add to the tortilla. Squeeze on some extra BBQ sauce on the chicken if desired.
- Roll them up and enjoy immediately.