A simple and healthy crockpot dish of quinoa, sweet potatoes, shredded chicken, sweet bell peppers, corn, and black beans. The mixture is cooked in the crockpot, placed in corn tortillas and topped with shredded cheese, sour cream, and green onions.
Okay, seriously, there are so many good things going on in this meal! Like for instance, the flavors. Those are pretty dang amazing. But then there’s the fact that there are like 324,939 good for you ingredients. And yet, my favorite part? The ease. This meal comes together in the crockpot!
Gosh. How I loooove my crockpot.
PS: I know I’m in the middle of my Valentine’s series, but I had to post this meal. I’ll be back with more Valentine’s fun tomorrow!
And this crockpot meal is super quick preparation.
You don’t need to cook the quinoa and you don’t need to cook the chicken. Just throw those in. Open a few cans (namely some black beans, corn, and two cans of tomatoes), and chop up a few veggies.
I used mini sweet bell peppers and chopped off the tops and then sliced the peppers in thick slices. I left most of the seeds in, but you can definitely remove them if that’s not your thing. The only other vegetable that needs a little TLC is the sweet potatoes. Peel the potatoes and chop them into bite-sized pieces and they are ready to go.
Yes, I’m not kidding you. This meal is that easy!
Oh, and I almost forgot. Instead of listing off 549 different spices for you to measure out and dump in this crockpot, I just used one spice packet – a fajita mix. This meal just couldn’t get any easier!
Once everything is thrown in together, cook it on high for 4-6 hours or low for about 8 hours. And while you are waiting for the crockpot to do its magic, enjoy the wonderful aromas of one of the easiest dinner meals.
When everything is all cooked through, shred the chicken and give all of the ingredients a good stir. The quinoa should be fluffy, the sweet potatoes are tender, and the chicken will fall off your fork. Put a good scoop or two in some tortillas (corn or flour) and top with your toppings of choice. I did cheddar cheese, sour cream, and green onions.
- 1 cup quinoa, rinsed thoroughly
- 1 large boneless skinless chicken breast (or 2 small ones)
- 1 can corn, drained and rinsed
- 1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 cans (14.5 oz) petite diced tomatoes, not drained
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 4 small sweet potatoes (2 and 1/4 cup), peeled and chopped
- 2 cups (13 miniature) sweet bell peppers (red, yellow, orange)
- 1 fajita seasoning mix
- Flour or corn tortillas
- Optional toppings: shredded cheddar cheese, low fat sour cream, green onions
- Thoroughly rinse the quinoa. Drain and rinse the corn and black beans.
- Combine the quinoa, chicken, corn, black beans, diced tomatoes, and chicken broth in a crockpot.
- Peel the sweet potatoes and chop into small pieces. Add to crockpot
- Remove the tops of the peppers and slice into long strips. You can choose to leave the seeds or remove them (I left the seeds in mine) and add to the crockpot.
- Add the fajita seasoning packet and stir everything together.
- Let cook for 3-5 hours on high watching it carefully so the quinoa doesn't burn.
- When finished, shred the chicken, fluff the quinoa, and stir everything together,
- Serve on flour or corn tortillas and top with optional toppings.