A deliciously easy and incredibly healthy broth-based chicken, quinoa, and sweet potato soup made in the crockpot.
Orrrrr you could be like me right now – it’s cooling down where you are at, you are a soup lover, and you + your whole family caught a horrible cold from flying and soup is the only thing that is even remotely appealing in the department of meals. Anyone? Yeah it was a bit of a stretch. But maybe one of those things applies? Like – soup lover?
If you are a soup lover, you are going to go crazy over this one!
Plus it is SO easy. The only chopping and “involved” part is with the sweet potatoes. But once those are peeled and chopped into small pieces, it’s pretty much just throwing the rest of the ingredients into the slow cooker and waiting for it to do its magic!
For the broth base I used chicken broth. Although, I don’t buy the canned chicken broth at the store since I find it to be pretty expensive. Especially when you need 5 cups of it like this recipe calls for. Instead, I use chicken flavored bouillon – the powder and sometimes the cubes. You can find chicken, tomato, and beef flavored bouillon usually in an aisle with Mexican foods, beans, and rice. At least that’s where it is at my store 🙂
Anyways, I just whisk the bouillon into the water (one teaspoon per cup) and that’s what I used for the base of this soup. Cheaper, super simple, and in my opinion, it tastes the best!
So pour that in the slow cooker with everything else and give it a good stir! And it’s ready to cook…or slow cook.
So you may be wondering about some substitutions. This meal is pretty easy to sneak in or out different ingredients. Some things you could add: corn, more tomatoes, a chopped green or red pepper, chopped celery, chopped carrots, a different kind of bean, more beans, chopped squash…pretty much a lot of different things will work!
If you wanted to leave out any of the ingredients, I would recommend replacing them with an equal amount of something else. Also you’ll want to keep the liquid pretty consistent. If you want to make a vegetarian soup – you would need to replace the chicken broth with a vegetarian broth and change out the chicken for extra veggies.
Don’t know where to find a packet of chili seasoning? You can use this recipe here to make your own. Just make sure to adjust any of the ingredients to your personal preference. I wanted this soup to be as easy as possible, and to me, the packet of seasoning is just the easiest!
- 1 and 1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 cup quinoa I used a black bean quinoa package
- 2 pound large sweet potatoes ~3-1/2 cups
- 1 can (15.25 ounces) black beans
- 1 can (14.25 ounces) petite diced tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 packet (1.25 ounces) chili seasoning mix
- 5 cups chicken broth*
- Optional: fresh parsley
- Spray the slow cooker with nonstick spray. Remove the fat from the chicken breasts and put them into the slow cooker along with the rinsed quinoa.
- (I found a black beans seasoned quinoa package which I used and loved, but regular quinoa will work as well, just make sure to rinse it well.)
- Remove the skins and chop the sweet potatoes into cubes adding them into the slow cooker.
- Drain and rinse the black beans and add those in. Add in the undrained petite diced tomatoes, minced garlic, chili seasoning mix, and chicken broth.
- Place on high for 3-5 hours (It took 4 hours on high for my crockpot.)
- Using two forks, shred the chicken and stir all the ingredients together.
- Add salt and pepper and if desired fresh parsley.
- Serve immediately.
*Instead of chicken broth, I used chicken flavor bouillon cubes and made my own chicken broth - I think it has more flavor and it is cheaper this way! Here is a link to show you a picture of what I use.
Here are some more quinoa meals: