If Santa gets cookies, his Reindeer need more than oats and carrots! 🙂 This Reindeer chow is a delicious medley of peanut butter and chocolate coated Chex cereal with M&Ms and mini Reeses cups.
This snack mix is the perfect treat to share during the holidays; it’s quick and easy to make and is such a crowd pleaser. Serve it at party or package it up in decorative boxes for a homemade holiday gift. Other favorite Christmas treats: oreo truffles, microwave fudge, or this Christmas snack mix.
Muddy buddies (or puppy chow) is hands down one of my kids favorite treats; they’ll ask for it almost weekly! So if there’s an excuse to jazz it up for Christmas, it’s a done deal at our home 🙂
How to make reindeer chow
The descriptions below correlate to the picture collage beneath the text.
- Get out all the ingredients; the process goes quick!
- Grab high quality chocolate chips — they’ll melt AND taste the best.
- Measure the cereal (rice OR corn chex) into a very large bowl (the bigger the bowl, the easier it will be to combine ingredients).
- Melt the butter, chocolate chips, and peanut butter and mix together. Add in the vanilla and a pinch of salt (to balance the sweetness)
- Once everything is melted and smooth, you’ll add that chocolate peanut butter mixture to the cereal mixture and toss until combined
- Transfer the mixture to a large bag, add the powdered sugar, and shake to combine! Then we’ll jazz up the reindeer chow by adding holiday colored (red & green) M&Ms to the mix along with miniature Reese’s cups. (Make sure to grab these Reese’s not the other individually wrapped minis or snack size ones)
- Reindeer chow without peanut butter: swap out the peanut butter for white chocolate chips and replace the miniature Reese’s cups with another chocolate bite-sized candy (like whoppers) or miniature marshmallows.
- Make it salty: add in some miniature pretzel twists to the mix.
- Swap the chocolate: we love milk chocolate in this reindeer chow, but use your favorite type of chocolate — dark or semi-sweet instead!
Freezing reindeer chow
If you’ve never tried frozen muddy buddies, you’re in for a treat! This snack mis is SO good chilled in the freezer for about an hour! You can also keep leftover reindeer chow in an airtight container in the freezer for up to 2 months. Thaw at room temperature and make sure to give them a try when they are cold 🙂
More holiday fun:
- 3-Ingredient Christmas Cookies
- Christmas Oreo Pops
- Christmas Mason Jar Gift Ideas
- Mexican Wedding Cookies
- 3-Ingredient Christmas Candies
If Santa gets cookies, his Reindeer need more than oats and carrots! This Reindeer chow is a delicious medley of peanut butter and chocolate coated Chex cereal with M&Ms and mini Reeses cups.
- 9 cups rice chex cereal
- 1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1 cup milk or semisweet chocolate chips I like Guittard or Ghirardelli
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1 and 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- Optional Additions
- 1 bag (12 ounces) Christmas M&Ms (can use peanut butter or peanut M&Ms for extra peanut butter!)
- 2 cups mini peanut butter cups
PREP: Into a large bowl, measure cereal; set aside.
MELT: In a large microwave safe bowl, combine the peanut butter, chocolate chips, and butter. Microwave in bursts of 15 seconds, stirring in between each burst for 15 seconds until the mixture is melted and smooth. Add in the vanilla and salt. Pour over the prepared cereal. Stir well until the cereal is evenly coated.
POWDERED SUGAR: Pour half of the cereal mixture into a gallon sized ziplock bag and pour half of the powdered sugar over it. Seal and shake until the cereal is evenly coated. Repeat with the other half of the cereal and powdered sugar in the same or a different bag. Shake until all the cereal is well coated!
JAZZ IT UP: Remove into a large bowl and add in the M&Ms and miniature Reese's cups. Enjoy!
STORAGE: Store leftover muddy buddies in an airtight container at room temperature OR in the freezer if you like it chilled 🙂