Oreo Fluff (also called Oreo fluff salad) is a creamy, sweet, and cookie-packed dessert “salad.” This fluff salad requires no baking and is the perfect dish to bring along for a potluck, get-togethers, party, or picnic!
Oreo Fluff: What it is and what it tastes like!
If you’re not familiar with “fluff salads,” they’re a dessert that Midwesterns like to pass off as a side salad/side dish. And you’ll never find me complaining — I can fill half my plate with this Oreo fluff AND still have dessert. 🙂
This particular fluff salad is made with vanilla pudding, chopped Oreo® cookies, whipped topping, and miniature marshmallows. It has a very creamy texture with a lot of lightness (or fluffiness) to it. The best way I could describe it is like a cookies and cream mousse.
We love this salad as the recipe is written, but below are some different ideas to change it up!
- Double cream version: Replace regular Oreos with Double-Stuffed Oreos.
- Mint version: Use mint Oreos and a few drops of green food coloring.
- Chocolate version (pictured below): Use chocolate pudding instead of vanilla; for even more chocolate you could use chocolate stuffed Oreos.
- Cheesecake version: use cheesecake pudding instead of vanilla.
- White chocolate version: Use white chocolate pudding instead of vanilla.
- Oreo Fluff Pie: Pile this “salad” into an Oreo crust and chill it for a few hours until firm. Cut into slices and serve!
- Oreo fluff with buttermilk: Replace the milk with buttermilk for a tangier salad.
- Use real heavy cream: More on this below!
- As a dip: This fluff salad also works as a fun dip; dunk with in fresh berries, graham crackers, or (gasp) more Oreos!
How to use heavy cream instead of whipped topping
If you don’t have access to frozen whipped topping or just prefer to make your own; you can use heavy cream instead. (I’ve tested it both ways and prefer the ease of frozen whipped topping, since there isn’t a huge flavor difference. The Oreos and pudding mix are definitely the prominent flavors here.)
To substitute heavy cream: Whip 1 cup heavy cream with 2 tablespoons powdered sugar, and 1 teaspoon vanilla extract in a stand mixer. Whip until you get soft peaks and then use that in place of the frozen whipped topping.
Making Oreo Fluff ahead of time
This salad can be made up to a day in advance. When making it in advance, the Oreos completely soften and melt into the salad more. If you do plan on making it ahead of time, I recommend chopping the Oreos even smaller or pulsing them in a blender.
If you want the Oreos to retain a little crunch, make the salad right before eating.
How to chop Oreos for this salad
- Knife and cutting board: Coarsely chop the Oreos with a sharp knife.
- Rolling pin: Add the whole Oreos to a large plastic bag and use a rolling pin to crush them down a bit
- In a blender or food processor: Pulse whole Oreos a few times to coarsely chop them.
Oreo Fluff tips
- Use full-fat frozen whipped topping. Low-fat or lite whipped topping will work, but the salad is less flavorful, less thick, and tends to get a bit watery. (Weight Watchers® calls for sugar-free pudding and fat-free whipped topping and reduced-fat Oreos or Oreo Thins. While this works, we like this best with full-fat/sugar ingredients).
- Allow the whipped topping to thaw completely before adding it into the salad; otherwise the texture isn’t quite right.
- Serve chilled. We think this fluff is best cold. It’s like a light Oreo mousse!
- Coarsely chop the Oreos. You don’t want any large pieces of Oreos throughout, so chop them into fairly small pieces.
More simple recipes
- Oreo Balls also known as Oreo truffles
- White Chocolate Chex Mix no baking required
- Ice Cream Sandwich Cake only 4 ingredients!
- Easy Chocolate Fondue reader favorite recipe!
- A whole list of Midwestern potluck salads here 🙂
Oreo Fluff (also called Oreo fluff salad) is a creamy, sweet, and cookie-packed dessert "salad." This fluff salad requires no baking and is the perfect dish to bring along for a potluck or picnic!
- 1 cup 1%, 2%, or whole milk (I use whole)
- 1 package (3.4 ounces) instant vanilla pudding, (don't follow package directions to make the pudding)
- 1 container (8 ounces) frozen whipped topping
- 1 package Oreos, divided
- 1 cup mini marshmallows, optional
PUDDING: Don't follow the pudding mix directions; instead add the dry pudding mix and 1 cup of milk to a large bowl. Whisk until combined.
WHIPPED TOPPING: With a plastic spatula, gently fold in the completely thawed topping. Fold in until completely incorporated; don't over mix.
OREOS: Coarsely chop up 24 Oreos (don't separate cookie from creme) (See Note 1) to small bite-sized pieces. Add those and the 1 cup marshmallows to the fluff salad. Gently fold to combine and coat the Oreos and marshmallows into the whipped topping.
SERVE: Garnish the top of the salad with the leftover Oreos (I like to break up a few and crush a few for presentation). Cover and refrigerate until serving or eat right away if you want the Oreos to still have a bit of crunch. Best eaten within 1-3 days; store any leftovers in the fridge.
Note 1: f you want the Oreos to still have a little crunch, chop them into slightly bigger pieces and eat this salad right away. If you want the Oreos completely softened, chop them in very small pieces and make this salad an hour (and up to a day) in advance.