These super moist chocolate chip cupcakes with cream cheese buttercream frosting and chocolate chip cookie crumbs reign supreme in the dessert world. Soft, fluffy, and bursting with buttery flavor. These chocolate chip cupcakes are the absolute BEST!
Chocolate Chip Cupcakes
I’m excited to be sharing one of our family’s favorite desserts: Chocolate Chip Cookie Cupcakes. These are such a fun mashup of chocolate chip cookies and cupcakes — I mean, chocolate chip cookies and cupcakes were meant to be together.
A really good cupcake is pretty hard to pass up… but adding that luscious cream cheese frosting and chocolate chip cookie crumbs on top — takes right over the top. These cupcakes were inspired by our favorite cupcakes at a local bakery “Milk & Cookies” is what they are called, but they should be called “Cookie Monster Dreams” because these are a cookie-lover’s dream!
How to make this chocolate chip cupcake recipe:
- The cupcake base is made of a classic yellow cake batter with mini chocolate chips mixed in. Not just any cake batter though, this cake is so rich, tender and incredibly moist.
- The cupcake then gets topped off with a cream cheese frosting for a little extra richness, and chocolate chip cookie crumbs for a little extra pizzazz. Each bite completely melts in your mouth.
- I used store bought cookies and crumbled them into crumbs, but if you are have cookies lying around, use those to crumble on top. You don’t have to top these chocolate chip cookie cupcakes with the crumbs of cookies, but it makes for a festive and delicious garnish.
Top cupcake baking tips:
- Use the best ingredients you have available — the better ingredients you use, the better your end product!
- Make sure ALL of the ingredients are at room temperature before starting. This helps ensure your cupcakes rise evenly (and don’t sink or fall)
- Don’t overmix the batter. Over Mixing the batter will result in denser muffins.
- Bake these chocolate chip cupcakes in the center of your oven.
- Allow the cupcakes to cool completely before frosting to avoid melted puddles of frosting!
- Be sure to check out this article for more tips!
These super moist chocolate chip yellow cupcakes with cream cheese buttercream frosting and chocolate chip cookie crumbs reign supreme in the dessert world. Soft, fluffy, and bursting with buttery flavor. These chocolate chip cupcakes are the absolute BEST!
- 1 1/2 cups white sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 egg yolks
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted
- ½ cup all vegetable shortening, melted
- ½ cup milk
- 1 ¼ cup all purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 Tablespoon almond extract
- 1 Tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2/3 cup mini chocolate chips
- 4 ounces unsalted butter, softened
- 4 ounces cream cheese. softened
- 2-3 cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup chocolate chip cookie crumbs, optional
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line 12 muffin tins with paper liners.
Combine sugar, eggs, and egg yolk in a mixer fitted with the whisk attachment on high speed until combined.
Gradually add milk, beating until combined. Then gradually add melted butter and shortening, beating until combined.
In a medium bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Slowly add flour mixture to sugar egg mixture one cup at a time. Add extract and beat just until combined. Fold in chocolate chips. Spoon batter evenly into prepared muffin cups. Bake for 18-20 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean. Be careful not to under bake cupcakes. Under baking cupcakes will cause the center to sink in.
Remove from oven and let cool for 5 minutes before removing from pan.
In a large bowl, beat together the butter and cream cheese with a mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. With the mixer on low speed, add the powdered sugar a cup at a time until smooth and creamy. Beat in the vanilla extract. Fold in about 1/2 cup chocolate chip cookie crumbs.
Frost cupcakes and top with remaining cookie crumbs.