A good-for-you mixed greens salad topped with tart granny smith apples, fresh kiwi, shredded turkey, sunflower seeds, and feta cheese. Covered in a sweet cranberry-poppyseed dressing.
I still have a bunch, but we had a small Thanksgiving get together so maybe that’s why.
Whether you have leftovers or not though — you are going to want to make this salad! And if you are out of turkey you can leave out the meat all together or substitute with some shredded chicken.
His favorite food is a cheeseburger with a close second being french fries. He loves a big steak smothered in A1 sauce with a side of potatoes. Smoked ribs are also on his list of top favorites.
In all the time we’ve been together, I have known him to get a salad ONCE for his entree. I took pictures to document the occasion. But besides that one rare occasion, salads are usually a nice side dish and nothing more.
Anyways, I tell you this because HE LOVED THIS SALAD! It was gone in about thirty seconds and got at least 15 compliments. Seriously. He was all about this salad and the dressing.
And I was too. But me being crazy about a salad isn’t as monumental for me as it is for him. Because eating salad is a regular thing for me. I eat plenty of salads and love them.
This salad comes together super quick. Lay down some lettuce, quickly chop up the apple, shred some turkey or chicken, peel and cut the kiwi, and sprinkle some feta and sunflower seeds on top. The dressing has a couple ingredients thrown into a blender and done!
Speaking of the dressing, it’s delicious. I will warn you though, the ingredients for the dressing are a little out of the ordinary. I had the idea of adding some strawberry jam in the mix. The jam made the dressing a bit thick and sticky, but an absolutely perfect highlight to all of the ingredients. The clementine adds a citrus splash and the poppyseeds are just fun!
The recipe for the dressing should serve about 6-8 salads, but the salad ingredients listed are for 2 salads. If you want to make more salads, just adjust the ingredients accordingly.
- 1 bag (5 oz.) spring mix salad
- 1 cup cooked turkey, or sub chicken, shredded and chopped
- 1 medium granny smith apple, sliced into thin wedges
- 1 kiwi, peeled and sliced into thin pieces
- ¼ cup sunflower seed kernels
- ¼ cup feta cheese
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped red onion
- 3 tablespoons strawberry jam
- 4 tablespoons white sugar
- 1/2 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1and 1/2 tablespoons poppyseeds
- In a blender combine the red onion, jam, white sugar, red wine vinegar, dijon mustard, salt, and olive oil. Blend until smooth. Add additional seasonings or extra salt to taste if desired. Stir in poppyseeds.
- Place salad in a large bowl and pour over desired dressing. With salad tongs, toss the salad until well coated.
- Separate salad into two bowls or two large plates. Top each plate evenly with shredded and chopped turkey (or chicken), a sliced apple, a sliced kiwi, sunflower seed kernels, and feta cheese.
- Top with more dressing if desired