This healthy and made-in-the-crockpot soup is flavorful and has a deliciously spicy kick. Made with chicken, salsa verde, corn, black beans, and optional toppings of avocado, sour cream, cilantro, and lime juice this soup is not only flavorful, but very healthy as well!
How do you feel about salsa verde? Flavors – I am so in love with. Color? Not so much. It actually kind of freaks me out a little bit. So it’s a good thing it tastes so great. And makes this soup taste so deliciously yum.
If you’ve never had salsa verde, you’ve got to get on that. There’s nothing quite like it. Regular salsa uses red tomatoes, and salsa verde – it uses tomatillos giving it a tangy and zesty flavor while still staying true to the chili and onion flavor. All the flavors just work.
When the husband, babe, and I were in Pittsburgh a couple of months ago, we went to Qdoba. That was my first experience with that restaurant and I have nothing but good things to say – it was lip-smackin’ good. In the line to put the stuff on your burrito or salad, there was a picture of a tomatillo and the question – “what is this?”
The husband had no idea. I was thrilled to exclaim it was a tomatillo -that’s right…I know my fruits. or veggies – whatever it’s classified under. Then my husband thought I was so cool for knowing that. Story of our lives…. 🙂
We’re still under the weather here and living on soup. I think it’s been almost every night now, so I’ve got quite the stockpile of recipes for you all. I’m trying my best to space them out though! But if you’ve got some leftover chicken from making this quinoa, sweet potato, and chicken soup then this is the way to use it.
Soup for daysssss.
Plus this one is so easy. Literally all you do is dump the ingredients in the slow cooker and let it do its thang. No veggie chopping prep, just throw it all in there. I’m not kidding when I say five minute prep; I timed myself.
And when it’s all done and delish, make sure to put an extra scoop of sour cream on there. Mix that in real good and slurp this goodness riiiiight up!
- 1 and 1/2 pounds (~1 and 1/2 large) boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup salsa verde, canned or homemade
- 1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 and 1/2 cups frozen corn
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1/2 tablespoon chili powder
- 1-2 chicken bouillon cubes, optional
- 2-3 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, stems removed and chopped
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Optional toppings: freshly grated Parmesan cheese, dollup sour cream, chopped avocado
- Spray your slow cooker with nonstick spray.
- Remove the fat from the chicken breasts and add them to the slow cooker along with the chicken broth, salsa verde, black beans, frozen corn, cumin, chili powder, and optional bouillon cubes.
- Allow to cook on low for 6-8 hours or high for 3-5 hours.
- Shred the chicken, add the lime juice, chopped cilantro, any additional seasonings to taste (salt, pepper, more cumin or chili powder) and dish into bowl.
- Top the bowls with any of the optional toppings - freshly grated Parmesan cheese, a dollup of sour cream, extra lime, extra cilantro, and/or a chopped avocado.
More soup recipes: