A chili-lime mango sauce covers these hot dogs in a fresh bun. With a little bit of spice and a lot of tang you’ll love this sauce!
So believe if or not, as a child my family did not have a grill. In fact, they still don’t have a grill. I met my now husband and when we were dating he could not believe this fact. He even looked around my family’s garage and shed convinced there was a grill hiding out somewhere. Apparently grilling is kind of a big deal in America.
But don’t worry, I am way on board with grilling. In fact, a grill was one of the very first purchases the husband and I made together once we moved into our house. We even used our moving truck to bring it home before returning the moving truck.
I’m pretty sure we grilled that very first night we got it too. We grill all the time and I’m pretty obsessed with it. And now I can’t think of summer without thinking of grilling and all the different foods we love making on the grill. One of my favorite is grilled chicken and veggie skewers just because I’m a veggie lover through and through. The husbands favorite? Well hot dogs of course. With the occasional hamburger thrown in there.
After grilling about eighteen million hot dogs this summer ; we’ve had to change up how we top them and what we serve them with. I thought of a mango salsa and it kind of morphed into a mango sauce which is the best topping I’ve ever had on a hot dog.
And corn on the cob to go with it? The very best. In fact my ideal sides for any grilled summer meal is a corn on the cob (still haven’t mastered the grilling of these…yet) and watermelon. But it has to be a good watermelon…which means the husband always has to pick it out.
With all that mango piled on top of the hot dog, that’s quite the well-rounded meal as far as fruit and veggies are concerned. I’ll always try to sneak a few more veggies on the plate, but the babe just throws them off the high chair and they tend to get scooted to one side on the husband’s plate.
- 4 hot dog buns
- 4 hot dogs
- 1 and 1/2 cup mango
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 2 tablespoons green onion
- 1/4 cup red pepper
- 1 tablespoon cilantro
- 1/4 teaspoon mustard
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Grill the hot dots and place inside the buns.
- For the salsa: remove the peel and pit of a mango and chop into small pieces.
- Add to a bowl and stir in the ketchup, lime juice, and chili powder.
- Finely dice the green onion and chop the red pepper (remove stem and seeds) and add to the mixture.
- Remove the stems and tightly pack one tablespoon of cilantro. Finely diced that cilantro and add it to the mixture along with the mustard.
- Stir everything together one more time and then top on the warm hot dogs.
Here are some more summer recipes: