Twice-baked zucchini boats made with Italian flavors. These zucchini boats are so delicious, fresh, and good-for-you.
These are hands-down so much better than twice-baked potatoes.
Okay, at least better for YOU. Because twice-baked potatoes make for some seriously amazing food.
But gosh, I think twice-baked potatoes seriously have some competition here. Because these are super fresh, they are light, they are Zesty, they are Italian-flavored, and then are so good for you.
Pluuuuuuus. So easy to make. You on board yet?
To make these zucchini boats, you start out by slicing your zucchini’s in half. The recipe reflects two medium-sized zucchini’s to make four boats. If you want more, double or triple to recipe. (These taste great as leftovers!)
Once they are sliced in half, the insides get removed. I scooped out the insides with a spoon, but they can also be sliced out with a knife as long as you are careful to not cut through the skin. Drizzle the emptied boats with olive oil and in the oven the zucchinis go. While they are baking, the filling can be made and finished right in time for the boats to be done.
Basically just mixing and sauteing vegetables together in a saucepan while the skins are getting nice and tender.
Once the skins are tender, and the filling is ready, the filling gets stuffed into the boats and they get covered with cheese.
And then all sorts of gooey, melty, and delicious.
As soon as they are done baking, you cover them in some shredded basil. (YUM). And eat them. All of them. Because you can, because they are that good. Plus, they are healthy and your body will thank you.
Okay done talking about this recipe… let me tell you about some other awesome recipes and great bloggers!
My friend Cate, invited me to be a guest blogger for the “Mystery Dish” group. Basically a group of bloggers that make recipes using a list of random ingredients. How fun is that? I was way excited to try it out. The two random ingredients I selected and put together for this recipe was zucchini and basil. I was tempted by peanut butter though… 😉
Anyways, be sure to check out the other Mystery Dish recipes right after the recipe!
- 2 medium sized zucchinis
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup assorted sweet peppers
- 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/4 cup yellow onion
- 1/2 cup corn
- 1/2 cup cherry tomatoes
- 1/3 cup Zesty Italian dressing
- 1 cup brown rice. cooked
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese
- Freshly shredded basil, to taste
- Salt and Pepper, to taste
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Slice the zucchinis in half and scrape out the fillings with a spoon. Drizzle the olive oil over all four zucchinis and brush to coat.
- Place the zucchinis in the oven and bake for 15-18 minutes or until tender.
- Meanwhile, chop up the filling in the zucchinis and place in a large skillet over medium heat. Add in the sweet peppers, garlic, and onion. Stir around for about 3-4 minutes. Add in the corn and cherry tomatoes. Stir for another 2-3 minutes or until the vegetables are mostly tender. (They get more tender when being baked)
- Remove from heat and stir in the dressing and already cooked brown (or white if desired) rice.
- Remove the zucchini skins from the oven and stuff with the filling, Return to the oven for about 8-10 minutes.
- Remove the zucchini boats and cover each with about 1/4 cup of the shredded mozzarella cheese. Return to the oven for 4-5 minutes or until the cheese is all melted.
- Remove from the oven and top with shredded basil, salt and pepper all to taste.
- Enjoy immediately.
Check out the other “Mystery Dish” Meals:
1. Raspberry Lemon Sweet Roll Cake with Buttermilk Glaze – Baking a Moment
2. Twice Baked Zucchini Boat – Chelsea’s Messy Apron
3. Buttermilk Panna Cotta with Raspberry Mint Compote – Blahnik Baker
4. Lemon-Raspberry Bundt Cake – I Dig Pinterest
5. Peanut Butter Chip Cookies – The Dessert Chronicles
6. Mini Coconut Cupcakes with Lemon Cream Cheese Frosting – I Want Crazy
7. Zucchini Noodles with Meat Mushroom Tomato Sauce – Joyfully Healthy Eats
8. Baked Wonton Cups Filled with Edamame Corn Salad – The Well Floured Kitchen
9. Easy 30 Minute Orange Rolls – Yummy Healthy Easy
10. BBQ Chicken Salad with Jalapeno Basil Ranch Dressing – The Pajama Chef
11. Mini Reese’s Peanut Butter Cupcakes – Culinary Couture
12. Zucchini Muffins with Lemon Glaze – The Weary Chef
13. Lemon Bundt Cake – Chez CateyLou
Here are some more vegetarian meals: