The famous Watergate Salad: a retro side or dessert “salad” with canned fruits, pistachio pudding mix, whipped cream, and crushed pistachios.
This salad was a staple in my home growing up! My Aunt made this (or frog eye salad) for every family potluck meal or holiday dinner. I don’t think we ever had a Thanksgiving or Christmas dinner without her famous watergate salad recipe.
And growing up I always wanted to know…
A few variations to try:
- Try this watergate salad with cherries by adding 1/4 cup chopped maraschino cherries.
- Colored mini marshmallows instead of white mini marshmallows add an additional fruity flavor and fun color.
- Additional fruit: try adding in an extra can of drained mandarin oranges, a can of drained fruit cocktail, or a sliced banana (add right before serving).
- If you aren’t a fan of pistachio, try making a watergate salad with lime jello! This recipe is slightly different than your typical watergate salad recipe but it uses a lot of the same ingredients.
- For a lower calorie version, try using lite whipped topping.
Main Dishes that pair well with this salad:
Creamy pistachio-flavored Watergate Salad filled with canned fruits, pistachio pudding mix, whipped cream, and crushed pistachios. This side dish salad or dessert salad is also referred to as "pistachio fluff," "green fluff," or "green goddess"
- 2 cans (8 ounces EACH) crushed pineapple, undrained (pineapple in juice, not syrup)
- 1 package (3.4 ounce) pistachio flavored instant pudding
- 1 can (14 ounces) mandarin oranges, well drained
- 3/4 cup mini marshmallows
- 1/3 cup pistachios, coarsely chopped (optional), separated
- 1 container (8 ounces) frozen whipped topping, completely thawed
- Optional: shredded coconut (1/4 cup), 1 can (15 ounces) fruit cocktail
Add the undrained pineapple and pudding mix in a large bowl. Stir until smooth. Add in the well drained mandarin oranges, mini marshmallows, and coarsely chopped pistachios. (IF desired, add in fruit cocktail here.) Gently fold together until combined.
Using a spatula, gently fold in the thawed frozen whipped topping until all the ingredients are well covered. Cover and refrigerate for 45 minutes to an hour. Serve chilled with a sprinkle of shredded coconut or additional crushed pistachios if desired.
Watergate Salad Calories: 214 per serving