7 layer pumpkin bars start with a 2-ingredient cake mix crust and then are loaded with chocolate, toffee, coconut, and pecans. A pumpkin-spiced sweetened condensed milk is poured over everything to create the ultimate gooey pumpkin bars.
A crave worthy seasonal twist on the classic 7 layer bars that are just as quick and easy to prepare!
7 layer pumpkin bars
7 layer bars have always been one of my favorite treats — who can resist a candy loaded bar drenched in sweetened condensed milk?!
So, naturally I’m obsessed with this seasonal twist on a favorite. Adding pumpkin pie spice, canned pumpkin, and toffee to a cake mix crust makes for the perfect Fall adaptation on a classic.
And did I mention how easy these 7 layer pumpkin bars are?! They’re so quick to whip together which is definitely handy during the busy holiday season.
7 layer pumpkin bars: the crust
Typical 7 layer bars have a graham cracker crust, but for these bars, we’re using a 2 ingredient cake mix crust.
The two ingredients: softened butter and a 15.25 ounce yellow cake mix. These two ingredients get mixed together and pressed into the bottom of a pan. While mixing the butter & cake mix together it may seem like they won’t ever form a cohesive dough, but it works! Keep beating and then use your hands to knead the mixture until it forms a crumbly dough. It all comes together when it’s pressed into the pan.
Pro tip: use the bottom of a 1 cup measuring cup to firmly press the crust down.
How to make 7 layer pumpkin bars
The numbered photos correlate with the description below. Start by preparing the crust (more on this above).
- Add chocolate chips on top of the prepared crust. We love milk chocolate chips in these bars, but semi-sweet, dark, or white chocolate chips will work — just use whatever you like best in these 7 layer pumpkin bars.
- Toffee bits are next. Make sure to get the Heath milk chocolate English toffee baking bits (not the bits of brickle) for these bars. Crushed toffee bits are typically found with other baking chips in the grocery store.
- Shredded unsweetened coconut on top. I recommend unsweetened coconut so the bars aren’t overly sweet.
- Finely chopped pecans next. I use toasted pecans and make sure to finely chop them before adding them in.
- Time to make the spiced sweetened condensed milk! Add pumpkin pie spice and pure pumpkin puree to a can of sweetened condensed milk.
- Stir the mixture until combined and smooth.
- Drizzle evenly making sure to coat every part of the bars.
- 7 layer pumpkin bars are done being assembled and are ready to bake!
- Chop the pecans into small pieces: lots of large pecan pieces make these bars become jagged when they’re cut out.
- Allow time for these bars to sufficiently cool: they look pretty gooey right out of the oven and take a good 30 minutes to an hour to fully set up.
- Line the pan with parchment paper: these 7 layer pumpkin bars are STICKY. Don’t forget the parchment paper or it will be really difficult to pull these bars out.
More pumpkin treats:
- Glazed Pumpkin Coffee Cake
- Pumpkin Cupcakes with cinnamon cream cheese frosting
- Pumpkin Creme Brûlée
- Healthy Pumpkin Bread made with Greek yogurt
- No Bake Pumpkin Cheesecake reader favorite recipe
7 layer pumpkin bars start with a 2-ingredient cake mix crust and are loaded with chocolate, toffee, coconut, and pecans. A pumpkin spiced sweetened condensed milk mixture is poured over everything to create the ultimate gooey pumpkin bars.
- 1 box (15.25 ounces) super moist yellow cake mix
- 1/2 cup (8 tablespoons) unsalted butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup milk chocolate chips (or use semi-sweet)
- 1 cup toffee chips
- 1/2 cup shredded coconut
- 1/2 cup pecans, finely chopped Note 1
- 1 can (14 ounces) full fat sweetened condensed milk
- 1/4 cup canned pumpkin puree
- 1/2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
PREP: Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a 9x13 inch baking pan with parchment paper, leaving an overhang for easy removal. Spray the parchment paper with nonstick spray.
CRUST: Mix cake mix, softened butter, and vanilla together with hand mixers until combined. It will be crumbly, but knead it with your hands a bit and then press it firmly into the bottom of the pan. Use the bottom of a 1 cup measuring cup to press the crust down evenly and firmly.
TOPPINGS: Evenly sprinkle the chocolate chips on top of the unbaked crust. Add the toffee chips evenly on top. Then add the coconut and the finely chopped pecans on top.
SWEETENED CONDENSED MILK: In a medium sized bowl, combine the sweetened condensed milk, pumpkin puree, and pumpkin pie spice together. Pour evenly over the bars.
BAKE: Bake for 20-25 minutes. Let stand to finish firming up, about 30 minutes to an hour at room temperature. Cut into bars and serve!
STORAGE: Store in an airtight container in the fridge. Best eaten within 1-2 days.
Note 1: toast pecans if desired. Make sure the pieces are really small or the bars don't cut out as nicely.