My take on the famous Cafe Rio dressing – complete with creamy tomatillo. Looking for a delicious salad dressing with a Mexican flair? You’ve come to the right place.
I’ve shared this dressing before when I shared this awesome honey-lime chicken, but it’s SO GOOD I had to post it as a separate recipe.
For those not familiar with the restaurant, Cafe Rio is a Mexican restaurant that has a bit of a cult following. And for good reason too.
We make this Cafe Rio dressing VERY frequently at our house. It’s exceptionally good on salads, but also surprisingly good on grilled meat. The husband says it tastes just like the real Cafe Rio dressing! That is a huge win since it’s a lot healthier than the real thing – this version gets its “creaminess” from an avocado instead of loads of mayo!
The great thing about this Cafe Rio dressing is that you can customize the flavors to your individual preferences. It’s very easy to make small tweaks to the amount of each ingredient used while still maintaining the integrity of the dressing. Want more heat? Up the jalapeno! Don’t like cilantro? You get the picture:)
- 1 ounce packet hidden valley ranch dressing mix 1
- 1/2 cup nonfat plain Greek yogurt
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/2 cup + 3 tablespoons cilantro
- 1/4 cup green salsa verde
- 1 cup smallish avocado ~3/4 when chopped
- 3/4 cup milk I used 1% (or sub low-fat buttermilk)
- 1/2 small jalapeño seeded
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a large blender or food processor, combine all of the ingredients and blend until smooth.
- Add more milk if needed to get to your desired thinness and increase any of the flavors desired (more cilantro, garlic, lime juice, salt, pepper, jalapeño) to reach your personal preference for the dressing.
- Even if you don't like spicy, I wouldn't recommend omitting the jalapeño as it adds a ton of flavor. If you are worried about spice, add a very small amount to start with (make sure to remove all the seeds!)
Dressing recipe adapted (made healthier) from Our Best Bites.