This is a sponsored post written by me on behalf of BUSH’S® Beans. All opinions are 100% mine.
A loaded chicken burger with deliciously seasoned chicken piled on a toasted brioche bun with melty cheese. These burgers have a honey mustard sauce and all your favorite burger toppings. Serve some BUSH’S® Homestyle Baked Beans on the side for the perfect summer meal!
For several years now I’ve been able to team up with my favorite beans company BUSH’S® to bring you delicious recipes using their beans. I love their products, my family loves them, and in my opinion nobody knows beans better than BUSH’S!
Today we’re serving up a big side of their Homestyle Beans with an incredible homemade chicken burger. My boys are obsessed with this burger (you’ve got to watch the video!). I hope this meal becomes a summer staple for your family like it has for mine. 🙂
What to serve on the side of a chicken burger
This summer I’m all about pairing savory with sweet and this savory chicken burger recipe goes perfectly with BUSH’S® Homestyle Baked Beans. The Homestyle Baked Beans have a tangy sweet sauce, specialty cured bacon, and brown sugar and spices. Plus, they’re naturally gluten-free and cholesterol-free. You’ll definitely want a can (or 2) on the side of these chicken burgers.
While BUSH’S® Homestyle Baked Beans are the perfect side to this chicken burger, you might be wondering what to load on your chicken burger.
What goes well on a chicken burger?
- Honey mustard sauce: my famous sauce that made its debut on this honey bacon club is making a reappearance for these burgers. It’s the perfect sauce!
- Lettuce: butter, romaine, boston, even red leaf lettuce — all work for this chicken burger.
- Tomatoes: a good thick sliced tomato can make or break a burger — here’s a list of the best tomatoes to use.
- Pickles: we’re obsessed with bread and butter pickles
- Avocado: a thin sliced ripe avocado adds an amazing creaminess to the chicken burger. Guacamole also works great.
- Red onion: thinly sliced red onion or caramelized onions
- Mushrooms: a good mushroom sauce or plain sautéed mushrooms always pair nicely with chicken!
In my opinion, there is nothing better than a chicken burger on a brioche bun. And once you’ve got those buns, you’ve got to toast them with some melted butter — trust me they’re the best! Rub melted butter generously on the insides and outsides of the bun. Place them on the back of the grill (out of the direct heat) until they’re golden and very lightly charred. This takes anywhere from 30 seconds to 1 minute.
Don’t have a grill? No problem. Here are a few other ways you can toast the buns.
These chicken burgers are loaded with deliciously seasoned chicken piled on a toasted brioche bun with melty cheese. These burgers have a honey mustard sauce and all your favorite burger toppings. Serve some BUSH'S® Homestyle Baked Beans on the side for the perfect summer meal!
- 1/4 cup white flour
- 1 and 1/2 teaspoons sweet paprika
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon EACH: garlic powder and onion powder
- Fine sea salt and freshly cracked pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pound (2 full) chicken breasts, cut in half horizontally (each half should be 4 ounces)
- 4 brioche buns
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 4 large slices Muenster cheese
- Chicken burger toppings such as: 1 large tomato, 1 large avocado (or guac), 1/2 large red onion, bread and butter pickles, lettuce
- Serve with: BUSH'S® Homestyle Baked Beans
- 3/4 cup real mayo (full-fat recommended)
- 1 tablespoon yellow mustard
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons honey BBQ sauce
- 1 and 1/2 teaspoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
SAUCE: combine all of the ingredients in a small bowl. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Whisk until smooth and set in the fridge for flavors to intensify.
PREP CHICKEN: Halve the 2 chicken breasts in half horizontally to have 4 pieces. Pound the pieces to even thickness. You can also cut down the pieces a bit to fit inside the bun, but remember the chicken does shrink down a bit as it's cooked. In a shallow wide bowl, add the flour, paprika, Italian seasoning, garlic powder, and onion powder. Add salt and pepper to taste; I add 1 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Stir seasonings. Dredge all 4 chicken pieces in mixture and set aside to a plate.
COOK CHICKEN: Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a skillet over high heat. Cook for 2 and 1/2 minutes until golden and browned, then flip. (Cook until internal temperature reaches 160 degrees F; carryover heat will bring it to 165 degrees) Add cheese and let stand for about a minute or until melted. Alternatively grill chicken breasts: Preheat a grill or grill pan to medium-high heat (about 400 degrees F.) Generously oil the grill (I drench a roll-up paper towel in vegetable oil and, holding it with tongs, rub it over the grill grates. Don't skip this step.) (Grill pan: add 1 tablespoon oil to the pan) Place the dredged chicken on the grill. Grill for 8-10 minutes, flipping once in between halfway, or until chicken juices run clear and internal temperature is at 160 to 165 degrees F. (160 degrees will carry over heat to get to 165 degrees F). Tent chicken with foil and let stand for 5-10 minutes before slicing against the grain.
GRILL BUNS: When you have about 1 minute left on the cooking time for the chicken, place the buttered buns on the grill (over indirect heat, alongside the edges of the grill). Alternatively use a grill pan or dry skillet. Watch carefully, they are toasted in about 30 seconds to a 1 minute.
ASSEMBLE: While chicken is cooking, prep the veggies/toppings. Spread the sauce on the inside of each of the rolls (be generous!) Add 1 piece of cooked chicken and cheese piece to each bun. Top with lettuce, tomato, onions, pickles, etc. -- whatever toppings you like. I also like to add a little sprinkle of salt and pepper on top of the veggies. Add the top of the bun and enjoy immediately! Serve a hearty side of BUSH'S® Homestyle Baked Beans on the side!