A strawberry sweet bread with a hint of orange coated in a sweet strawberry glaze and orange zest.
Not sure why, but I don’t make them that often in the winter. Besides banana bread – banana bread is a year round favorite in my house.
Sweet breads are a perfect way to use up all the wonderful fruits and veggies that are coming into season. Zucchini bread is one of my favorites, but that will probably make it’s appearance in late summer.
Today? Today it’s all about strawberries! With a hint of orange.
The perfect breakfast, brunch, or snack. This bread is sure to get eaten quick!
It also has quite the amount of strawberries. Like lots of them!
Some of the strawberries get blender or pureed to basically create a thick strawberry juice that gets mixed into the bread. The rest of the strawberries get chopped up and mixed into the bread so there are plenty of strawberry chunks throughout each bite.
One thing about sweet breads – I am not a huge fan of nuts in them.
But I know they are super popular and lots of people like them. If you wanted to add about a cup of nuts – say chopped pecans or walnuts, it would work great in this bread. I’ve tried this recipe with chocolate chips too which was also great.
Also, if you aren’t feeling the orange or orange zest – totally feel free to leave that out – or substitute it for another citrus.
Whatever you choose to add in, the base of this bread is so delicious, I’m sure you’ll love it!
- 2 cups strawberries separated and stems removed
- 3/4 cup + 1 tablespoon white sugar separated
- 1 and 1/2 cups + 1 tablespoon white flour separated
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon fresh orange juice
- 2 teaspoons orange zest separated
- 1/4 cup strawberries stems removed
- 2 ounces cream cheese at room temperature not melted
- 4 tablespoons powdered sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Optional garnish: sliced strawberries
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F. Spray a dark bread pan with cooking spray and then lightly coat with flour. (If using a lighter pan or glass pan, preheat the oven to 350 degrees)
- In a blender or food processor, combine 1 cup strawberries with 1 tablespoon white sugar. Pulse until mostly liquid, but small chunks can still remain.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, cinnamon, salt, and baking soda. Stir together.
- In another bowl, beat together the remaining 3/4 cup white sugar with the vegetable oil, eggs, vanilla extract, and orange juice. Beat in the pureed strawberries.
- Slowly add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients, but do not over-mix.
- Prepare the last cup of strawberries by cutting them into small chunks. Lightly stir the strawberries with 1 tablespoon flour.
- Lightly stir the strawberry chunks in with the rest of the mixture.
- Pour the mixture into a bread pan and bake for 45-50 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean when inserted into the center.
- Puree the strawberries. Beat the pureed strawberries, cream cheese, powdered sugar, and vanilla extract until well combined.
- (Make sure the cream cheese is completely at room temperature or it won't mix well and you might get chunks.)
- Pour over the mostly cooled bread and then sprinkle remaining one teaspoon orange zest over the glaze.
- Optionally garnish with extra sliced strawberries.
Want some more strawberries?