Super moist banana bread swirled with Nutella and macadamia nuts. It will seriously melt in your mouth!
Hi again to all my Chelsea’s Messy Apron friends! We are Jen and Emily, the mother-daughter blogging duo over on Layers of Happiness, and we are so happy to be back sharing this banana bread with you today. Nutella Swirled Macadamia Nut Banana Bread to be exact.
Now that we are well into February and Valentine’s Day is right around the corner, the New Year’s resolution train has left the station, right?! I mean how can New Year’s resolutions and chocolate galore coexist. Impossible in my mind.
That was my justification for this banana bread. But if you make it and eat it, you will understand that really no justification is needed. GAH. It’s sooo yummy!
The chocolate gets (and stays) all melty and gooey and the macadamia nuts coincide with the melty chocolate in perfect harmony.
My inspiration for the recipe came from a favorite vacation snack. Our favorite vacation destination is Hawaii (more specifically, Maui) and in Maui they sell two foods at the grocery stores that we get every time we go – Maui onion kettle chips (think sour cream and onion but 10000000x better.) and milk chocolate covered macadamia nuts. Those two foods are some of my favorite foods on the planet.
This combo of banana bread came to me as I was looking out at the bone-chilling cold weather, dreaming of the warm sunny beaches of Hawaii, standing next to a couple of leftover (over-ripe) bananas sitting on the counter. In that moment, I figured the closest I would be able to get to Hawaii was to bring the flavors of Hawaii to my house. Behold: Nutella Swirled Macadamia Nut Banana Bread.
And let me tell you, with one of bite of this banana bread, I went to heaven and Hawaii and back.
It’s made like other normal with a couple of additions: A generous swirl of Nutella and macadamia nuts. If you are a true chocolate lover you could also add about ¼ cup chocolate chunks, but that is only if you dare. 😉
Easy to share.
Perfect for on the go breakfasts.
Is your mouth totally watering yet?!? Because I can hardly control myself looking at these pictures and I only have ONE SLICE left! Must.Make.More.
Tip: My favorite way to slice banana bread is in slices (like normal) and then cut each slice into thirds… It makes perfectly portioned slices AND 3 pieces of banana bread is sooo much better than 1, right?!
- 1 cup ripe bananas mashed, about 2 medium bananas
- 1/2 cup applesauce or one 4 ounce cup of applesauce
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg white
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup macadamia nuts
- 1/4 cup semi-sweet chocolate chunks optional, or semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup nutella warmed in microwave
- Preheat the oven to 350F degrees. Lightly spray a 9x5 loaf pan with nonstick spray. Set aside.
- Make the bread: In a medium bowl, mash bananas. Whisk in applesauce, egg, egg white, and vanilla. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, toss the flour, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon together until combined. Using a large spoon or rubber spatula, slowly mix the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients. Slowly stir in oil until everything is evenly mixed together and no more flour pockets remain. Do not over-mix. Fold in the macadamia nuts and chocolate chunks.
- Spoon the batter into the prepared baking pan. Drop 3 tablespoons of Nutella on top of bread in a row. Swirl with a knife.
- Bake for 60-65 minutes, loosely cover/tent the bread with aluminum foil after 30 minutes. This will prevent the top and sides from getting too brown. The bread is done when a toothpick inserted in the center of the loaf comes out clean. Remove from the oven and allow the bread to cool completely in the pan on a wire rack. Slice and serve.