A simple and healthy soup made in the crockpot and filled with flavor from red potatoes, corn, sweet bell peppers, and a creamy base with a hint of mushroom.
Everyone is telling me “Just you wait, it gets colder.” or “This isn’t anything yet.” The high yesterday was 4 degrees. Blech.
With the humidity and the wind, the cold just goes straight through. I’m not such a fan, if you couldn’t tell.
Especially when the soup goes in the crockpot and my whole home is filled with the smell of homemade deliciousness. And then I get excited because it was so INSANELY EASY to make! And I start thinking of what kind of rolls or crackers I can dip in the soup when it’s done. And these are the things that keep me happy when it is cold outside.
So lets transition to talking about how easy and flavorful this soup is!
First off, crockpot meal (!!!) Put everything in and forget about it. Dish it up and it tastes like you’ve been slaving over making a soup for hours. Which you haven’t been, because your crockpot has been working for you. Love that!
And don’t you agree that everything tastes better when it is creamy? I think so. And this soup is suuuuuper creamy and rich while being (secretly healthy). I didn’t want to use heavy creams and milk, so the creamy base is 2 cans of cream of mushroom soup. The reduced-fat kind because I can’t taste the difference between the regular and reduced-fat.
The creamy base is where the hint of mushroom comes from. So if you don’t like mushrooms, try switching it up with cream of chicken soup. You could even add chicken to this soup if you wanted!
I wanted corn and sweet peppers in this soup, but if you aren’t a fan, just switch it up with some other vegetables. Some ideas: frozen peas, broccoli, or carrots. You can customize this soup to be your favorites!
I hope you enjoy this soup and it helps to make the cold more bearable! 😉
- 2-3 pounds of red potatoes, washed and cubed
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 2 sweet bell peppers, washed and diced (I used one red and one yellow)
- 2 cans reduced-fat cream of mushroom soup (can sub cream of chicken soup)
- 3 chicken boullion cubes
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- Salt and Pepper, to taste (I added quite a bit of both!)
- Wash the red potatoes and cut into small cubes. Place in the bottom of the crockpot. Add in the frozen corn.
- Dice the red and yellow peppers and place in crockpot along with the potatoes.
- Pour the 2 cans of mushroom soup over the vegetables and then fill up both cans with water and pour the water into the crockpot as well.
- Stir everything up and put on high for 6-7 hours or until potatoes are tender.
- Before serving, stir in the chicken boullion cubes and flour.
- Stir until the cubes are melted and the flour is completely incorporated.