A Nature Valley Copycat recipe. Soft-baked oatmeal squares made with natural ingredients – no butter or oil included! These bars are peanut butter flavored and bursting with peanut butter chips along with a peanut butter drizzle on top.
Seriously, it has taken me about 98,463 failed attempts, and at least 3,234 extra large jars of peanut butter.
Minus the scoops of peanut butter I was eating from those jars, about 2,672 jars of peanut butter for the recipe experimentation on these bars.
I really, really like peanut butter.
And these bars have been a long time in the coming, but they are honestly the best of the best. They have no added oils, no butter, no eggs, and very little sugar.
They taste even better than the Nature Valley oatmeal squares I was trying to replicate. Which, by the way, have a lot more sugar and random ingredients than these do.
By making these, you’ll know exactly what is in them. And don’t have all the bad-for-you nasty preservatives and words you can’t pronounce. Or at least words I can’t pronounce.
These bars are the perfect on-the-go breakfast or snack that will leave you full for quite some time thanks to all the protein and whole grains.
The base of these bars is (obviously) oats. Old fashioned oats and then oat flour. But don’t freak out if you can’t find oat flour, because you can make it in about 30 seconds. I just grind up oats in my blender or food processor until the oats resemble flour. It’s super quick. The only thing is make sure to measure the oat flour AFTER grinding them and not before!
And other than that, these bars are pretty quick and easy. Oh, and did I mention delicious?!
- 1 cup old fashioned oats
- 1/2 cup oat flour* just blend regular oats in the blender
- 1/2 cup white whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup brown sugar lightly packed
- 1 and 1/4 cup creamy peanut butter separated (1/4 cup for the top drizzle)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk or sub another milk
- 1 cup Reese's peanut butter chips
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F.
- Line an 8 x 8 pan with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a medium sized bowl, combine the oats, oat flour, white whole wheat flour, baking soda, salt and brown sugar. Stir to combine,
- In another medium sized bowl, combine 1 cup peanut butter, vanilla extract, and honey.
- Microwave for about 15 seconds, Remove and stir to combine. Return to the microwave for 25 more seconds. Stir until completely combined
- Add the peanut butter mixture to the dry ingredients and stir well.
- Add in the milk and peanut butter chips. Stir until completely combined
- Press into the lined tray
- Bake for 18-20 minutes or until lightly browned on the edges.
- Remove and let cool completely before removing and cutting into 12 squares.
- Once they are cut into squares, place 1/4 cup of peanut butter in a small resealable bag.
- Cut off the tip of the bag and pipe the peanut butter on the top of the bars.
- Sometimes these bars can be a bit crumbly and you may want to refrigerate them.
*To make oat flour, just grind up oats in a blender or food processor. Just make sure to measure the oat flour AFTER grinding the oats.
Try this next!