An easy skillet lasagna
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic (2 cloves)
- 1 cup diced yellow onion (~1/2 of 1 onion)
- 1 pound ground Italian sausage
- 1 can (14.5 ounces) fire-roasted diced tomatoes
- 2 jars (14 ounces EACH) good quality spaghetti sauce
- Fine sea salt and freshly cracked pepper
- 2 large eggs
- 1 and 1/4 cups ricotta cheese
- 1/4 cup fresh basil, chopped (OR use 1 teaspoon dried basil)
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 3/4 cup freshly grated mozzarella cheese, separated
- 1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan cheese, separated
- 8-9 oven-ready (no cook/boil) lasagna noodles
In a large nonstick skillet (10 inches), add oil and heat over medium heat. Once oil is shimmering, add in garlic and onion. Saute until the onion is translucent, about 3-4 minutes.
Turn up the heat to high and add in the sausage. Cook, breaking/crumbling it up as you cook with a wooden spoon until the sausage is browned and cooked through. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Drain any fat off and return to heat.
Add in the undrained diced tomatoes and both jars of sauce. Bring the mixture to a rapid simmer and then reduce heat to medium. Let it simmer for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, while you prepare the cheese filling. Taste and season to taste if needed (additional salt/pepper and you may need to add 1-2 teaspoons white sugar if it's too sour which will depend on the brand of tomatoes/sauce you use). Transfer all but 1 cup of the meat sauce to a separate bowl.
In a separate bowl, whisk the eggs with a fork. Stir in the ricotta, basil, Italian seasoning, 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese, and 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese. Stir to combine and season to taste with salt and pepper.
Spread 1 cup of the cheese mixture over the 1 cup of meat sauce in the skillet. And 1 and 1/2 cups of the meat sauce on top. Place 4 and 1/2 of the UNCOOKED lasagna noodles on top of the meat sauce. Break the noodles to make sure they are in one even layer. Add the rest of the cheese mixture on top of the noodles. Add 1 and 3/4 cup of the meat sauce in an even layer on top of the cheese. Add the remaining 4 uncooked noodles (break again) on top of the meat sauce. Add the last of the meat sauce (about 2 cups) on top. Cover skillet with lid (foil in a pinch).
Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15-17 minutes or until noodles are tender. Remove from the heat. Sprinkle with remaining 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese and 2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese. Cover and let stand for 2 minutes or until melted. Let stand 8-10 minutes and then cut into and enjoy!