A vegetarian dish with wild rice, an assortment of vegetables, and a refreshing lime dressing. A light and delicious side dish or entree.
And he continued to say “da-da” mixed in with some “ba-bo-ba-la’s” and other babbles.
How does it happen? That the little guy I spend all day with and say “ma-ma” over and over. And over. And over again. says “da-da” first?
Which means clearly repeating “Ma-ma” over and over again was and is not the correct strategy.
I bet a better strategy would have been to share this amazing wild rice and veggie dish with him. Because then he would have been all over the “ma-ma” words.
Yeah. This dish is that good.
Okay just joking. Because; first – he couldn’t eat this dish and second, that was the best transition I had. Um. yes. Talking about this dish now…
I love it! But don’t worry if you aren’t a huge fan you can totally substitute in white or brown rice. Or even a small pasta like orzo.
This dish is super customizable. Including the vegetables.
Basically pick what you want. I used an assortment of sweet peppers, shredded carrots, sweet peas, corn, and broccoli. With some shredded basil for good measure.
But, here’s the thing. If you want to have a detoxing salad, this is pretty fantastic with no dressing. Just lots of good for you veggies and wild rice. Perfection!
And if not, the dressing is still super healthy and adds a lot of great flavor. I was just pointing out that with or without the dressing this salad is pretty dang fantastic.
The dressing is just shaking a few ingredients together in a tight jar and then pouring it over the dish.
And it’s all ready to go. The perfect comfort food when you’ve lost the battle against the husband in who’s name your baby says first. Orrrr wait, that’s me…
- 1 cup wild rice + 2 cups water
- 1 cup sweet bell peppers I used an assortment of miniature ones
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/2 cup shredded carrots
- 1/2 cup corn
- 1/2 cup sweet peas
- 3/4 cup broccoli chopped in small pieces
- 1/2 teaspoon lime zest
- 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- scant 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon dijon do not use regular
- Optional: 2-3 tablespoons fresh basil finely shredded
- Follow package directions to cook the wild rice.
- Meanwhile, remove stems, dessed, and chop the peppers.
- Combine the olive oil, garlic, and chopped peppers in a medium saucepan over medium heat.
- Stir around for 2-3 minutes and then add in the carrots, corn, peas, and broccoli.
- Continue to stir until the vegetables are tender (to your desired amount of tenderness; I like to get them a little browned and roasted because I like the flavor, but do them however you like)
- When the rice is done, stir in the vegetables.
- In a resealable jar, combine all of the dressing ingredients and shake well.
- Pour the dressing over the cooled rice and vegetables and stir.
- If desired, stir in the finely shredded basil.
- Store in the fridge to allow flavors to marinate for at least 20-25 minutes (optional step).
- Return any leftovers to the fridge.