Cake Mix Cupcakes (Chocolate)
A "doctored-up" cake mix with the best dark (or milk) chocolate frosting.
Servings 24 cupcakes
- 3 large eggs
- 3/4 cup full fat sour cream
- 3/4 cup canola oil
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 box (15.25 ounces) Super Moist Chocolate Fudge Cake Mix
- 1 package (3.4 ounces) chocolate pudding mix, dry
- 1/2 cup warm water, you can also use leftover coffee or add in some espresso for a heightened chocolate flavor
- 1 cup miniature chocolate-chips, or coarsely chopped chocolate baking bar
Dark (or milk) Chocolate Frosting
- 1 and 1/4 cups (2 and 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
- 3 to 4 cups (317g) powdered sugar
- 3/4 cup (57g) Special Dark Cocoa Powder (I use Hershey's)
- 1/4 cup (56g) heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/16 teaspoon (tiny pinch) salt
- Optional: fresh raspberries, for garnish
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and line a cupcake pan with liners. Set aside.
In a large bowl, whisk the eggs with a fork. Add in the sour cream, canola oil, and vanilla extract. Stir until completely combined.
Add in the cake mix and pudding mix. Stir. Add in the water and mix until just combined. Fold in the chocolate chips. If you're using chopped chocolate instead, chop it pretty small to about the size of miniature chocolate chips (my picture in the post is the process of chopping the chocolate and not the size of how the chocolate pieces should be).
Fill cupcake liners 3/4ths the way full (batter should yield 24 cupcakes). Bake for 18-23 minutes or until a fork when inserted in the center of a cupcake comes out clean.
Remove and allow to completely cool before frosting.
Using a handheld of stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, beat the butter in a medium bowl on medium speed for 3-4 minutes. Add 3 cups of powdered sugar and cocoa powder. Mix on low. Add 3 tablespoons of heavy cream and the vanilla extract. If the frosting is too thin, add more powdered sugar (up to 1 cup) until you get the desired consistency. If the frosting is too thick, you can add more heavy cream (up to 2 tablespoons). Add in the salt. If the frosting is still too sweet, add a dash more salt.
Transfer the frosting to a piping bag fitted with a star tip and frost the cupcakes. If desired, add 1 raspberry to each cupcake.
Best enjoyed within 1-2 days.