Turkey Taco Skillet
This low-carb Turkey Taco Skillet is loaded with nutritious ingredients! Robustly seasoned ground turkey with beans, corn, tomatoes, and green chiles. This taco dish is covered in melty sharp Cheddar cheese and garnished with your favorite taco toppings. Serve this meal over cauliflower rice for a low-carb and filling meal or serve it as a dip with chips.
Servings 4 servings
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup (110g) finely diced yellow onion (~1 small onion)
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic (~2 cloves)
- 1 tablespoon ground chili powder
- 1 teaspoon EACH: ground cumin, paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon EACH: onion powder, garlic powder, dried oregano, salt and pepper
- 1/2 tablespoon beef bouillon powder
- 1 pound (16 oz.; 454g) lean (93/7) ground turkey (lean ground beef also works!)
- 1 can (14.5 oz; 411g) fire-roasted diced tomatoes
- 1 can (4 oz; 113g) fire-roasted diced green chiles (mild), drained
- 1 can (15 oz. 432g) black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup (116g) frozen corn
- 1 and 1/2 cups (148g) freshly grated sharp shredded Cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup green onions
- 3-4 tablespoons finely chopped cilantro
- Serve: with chips (See Note 1)
- Optional toppings: chopped avocado or guacamole, pico de gallo or chopped tomatoes, lime juice, sour cream, etc.
TURKEY TACO MEAT: Dice the onion and mince the garlic. Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Once the oil is hot, add in the diced onion. Cook for 3-5 minutes or until soft and translucent. Stir in the garlic and cook for 20-30 seconds. Add in all of the seasonings: 1 tablespoon chili powder, 1 teaspoon ground cumin, 1 teaspoon paprika, 1/2 teaspoon onion powder, 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder, 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper, and 1/2 tablespoon beef bouillon powder. Cook and stir the spices until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Nothing should be burning; reduce the heat if needed.
TACO MEAT CONT.: Press the seasoned onion to the edges of the skillet. Add the ground turkey to the center of the pan. Crumble the meat into small pieces and cook until no longer pink (but not cooked through all the way), about 5-8 minutes. (If the ground turkey has released liquid, drain off at this time). Add in the undrained fire-roasted diced tomatoes and scrape the bottom of the pan to release any browned bits (this is where the flavor is!) Add in the diced green chiles. Let simmer for 2-3 minutes, or until most the liquid is absorbed. Add in the frozen corn and drained and rinsed black beans and gently stir to warm through.
GARNISH: Reduce the heat to low. Sprinkle the cheese on top and gently stir to combine and melt. Once melted and incorporated, add green onions and cilantro. Serve immediately with chips (See Note 1). Top skillet with your choice of taco toppings such as sour cream, diced avocado, additional herbs, fresh lime juice, etc.
Note 1: Not sure about serving this with chips? Here are few other serving suggestions:
- Make lettuce or taco wraps. Scoop the turkey taco filling along with your favorite taco toppings (cheese, sour cream, cilantro, onions, etc.) in some lettuce leaves or charred/warmed tortillas.
- Make a burrito bowl. Prepare some cilantro-lime or cauliflower rice, scoop a few spoonfuls of this turkey taco skillet mixture, add your favorite taco toppings, and enjoy!
- Prepare a large salad. Prep a bowl of chopped romaine, add a few spoonfuls of this meal, and your favorite taco toppings. Drizzle on a cilantro lime vinaigrette or creamy cilantro dressing. Crumble up some chips, or add seasoned tortilla strips, for some added crunch.
Serving: 4servings | Calories: 533kcal | Carbohydrates: 34.8g | Protein: 44.9g | Fat: 24.4g | Cholesterol: 116.8mg | Sodium: 967.8mg | Fiber: 9.7g | Sugar: 7.2g