Our favorite Potato Salad with Yukon gold potatoes, celery, pickles, hard-boiled eggs, sweet onion, and the best creamy dressing with fresh chives.
Servings 8 -10 servings (as a side)
- 3 pounds (1360g) baby Yukon gold potatoes (See Note 1)
- Fine sea salt and freshly cracked pepper
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar, divided
- 3/4 cup + 2 tablespoons (165g) regular mayonnaise (we like Best Foods/Hellmans)
- 1/3 cup (67g) sour cream
- 1/2 cup (137g) sweet pickle relish
- 1 tablespoon yellow mustard
- 1 and 1/2 teaspoons celery seed
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 2 stalks celery, finely diced (~1 cup; 117g)
- 4 hard-boiled eggs, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup (90g) bread and butter pickles, finely diced
- 1/4 cup (36g) sweet onion, finely diced
- Optional: 1-2 tablespoons fresh chives or freshly chopped parsley, additional paprika
COOK POTATOES: Wash potatoes (no need to chop yet!). Add potatoes to a large pot, cover with 1 and 1/2 inches of cold water, and bring to a boil. Once boiling, salt the water (add 1 teaspoon salt for every 4 cups of water.) Then reduce the heat to medium-low so potatoes are simmering (potatoes will cook the same speed). Simmer 12-17 minutes or until easily pierced with a fork (about 13-14 minutes for me).
FINISHING POTATOES: Meanwhile, set up an ice bath. Add cold water to a large bowl filled with ice. Drain the potatoes and immediately add to the ice bath. Once cooled, drain throughly and transfer to a cutting board. Chop the potatoes into bite-size 1-inch chunks and add to a large bowl. Drizzle 1/2 tablespoon of the apple cider vinegar over potatoes and add a pinch of salt. Toss and set aside.
DRESSING: In a medium-sized bowl, add the remaining 1/2 tablespoon apple cider vinegar, mayo, sour cream, pickle relish, yellow mustard, celery seed, paprika, salt, and pepper to taste (I add 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper). Whisk until smooth and combined.
ASSEMBLY: Coarsely chop the hard boiled eggs (See Note 2), finely chop the celery, the pickles, and the sweet onion. Add to the large bowl with the potatoes. Pour the dressing over everything and gently stir to combine. Cover tightly and refrigerate at least 1 hour and up to 8 hours before eating. Garnish with fresh chives or parsley if desired.
Note 1: We like to leave the peel on the potatoes for texture and color. With Yukon gold potatoes, the peel is very thin. If you aren't using baby potatoes, quarter large potatoes and then boil. I don't recommend using russet potatoes for this recipe.
Note 2: To save time, you can buy hard-boiled eggs at the store. Otherwise, click here for instructions for hard boiling the eggs.
Calories: 290kcal | Carbohydrates: 32.5g | Protein: 6.2g | Fat: 15.6g | Sodium: 274.7mg | Fiber: 3.4g | Sugar: 7.5g