This hearty and flavorful, made-from-scratch Corn Casserole is a wonderful addition to your holiday table. It's thick, moist, and strikes the perfect balance of sweet and savory.
Servings 12 -16 servings
- 8 tablespoons (113g) unsalted butter (1 stick) melted
- 1 cup (228g) low-fat buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons (86g) honey
- 1/4 cup (49g) light brown sugar (packed)
- 2 tablespoons (26g) white granulated sugar
- 1 can (14 oz.) creamed corn
- 1 and 1/2 cups frozen corn
- 2 large eggs, whisked with a fork
- 1 cup (230g) sour cream full fat
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 cup (126g) white all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup (112g) yellow cornmeal (enriched and degermed; I use Albers)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 and 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- Optional: 3-4 tablespoons fresh chives
PREP: Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Lightly grease a 9x13-inch baking pan with nonstick spray.
BUTTER: Place eight tablespoons of butter in a microwave-safe bowl and melt. Set melted butter aside to cool to room temperature before using. Remove the wet ingredients from the refrigerator so they reach room temperature.
DRY INGREDIENTS: In a large bowl, combine the flour, cornmeal, baking powder, salt, and cornstarch. Stir to combine.
WET INGREDIENTS: In a large bowl, add the 2 eggs and whisk with a fork until smooth. Add in the buttermilk, two tablespoons of honey, brown sugar, white sugar, creamed corn, frozen corn kernels, sour cream, and vegetable oil. While whisking constantly, slowly drizzle in the melted and cooled butter until smooth and combined. (If the wet ingredients are cold and butter is warm, it will clump.) Pour the wet ingredients into the center of the dry ingredients and gently mix (or fold with a spatula) until just combined. Do not over-mix.
BAKE: Transfer batter to the greased pan and smooth the top with a spatula. Bake for 55-65 mins or until set in the center (an ever-so-slight jiggle) and a toothpick comes out clean. Remove from the oven. Sprinkle fresh chives on top and enjoy immediately!
Serving: 1serving | Calories: 360kcal | Carbohydrates: 48g | Protein: 7g | Fat: 17g | Saturated Fat: 10g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 4g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 63mg | Sodium: 425mg | Potassium: 253mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 12g | Vitamin A: 449IU | Vitamin C: 3mg | Calcium: 81mg | Iron: 2mg