Note 1: Here's how to make a batch of homemade candied pecans
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1 large egg white (save the yolk and use in these healthy pumpkin cookies!)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 pound pecan halves
Nutritional information does not include the candied pecans. This recipe makes much more than you'll need for the salad. View the recipe to see its nutritional information.
- Preheat oven to 250 degrees F. Line a large sheet pan with parchment paper and set aside. In a large bowl combine the white sugar, cinnamon, and salt. Stir to combine.
- In another bowl, whisk the egg whites, vanilla, and 1/2 tablespoon water together until frothy. Toss the pecans into this mixture and then remove using a slotted spoon. Put into the sugar mixture and toss pecans until well coated. Spread coated pecans onto a baking sheet.
- Bake in the preheated oven stirring every 15 minutes until pecans are evenly browned. This takes about 45-60 minutes. Let stand for 30-45 minutes and allow the pecans to fully cool and solidify. Coarsely chop for the salad.