Four simple and easy to make animal jungle cupcakes -- a zebra, monkey, tiger, and a panda.
Servings 24 cupcakes
- 3 large eggs
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil
- 3/4 cup full-fat sour cream or full-fat vanilla Greek yogurt
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup buttermilk (or sub scant 1/2 cup milk + 1/2 tbsp vinegar- mixed together and let sit for 5 minutes)
- 1 package (15.25 ounces) chocolate fudge cake mix dry
- 1 package (3.4 ounces) chocolate instant pudding mix dry
- 1 container cream cheese frosting OR your favorite homemade frosting
Make 'em into a ZEBRA
- White Sparkling Sugar
- Black Candy Melts
- Brown M&Ms
- Black Sparkle Gel
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line a muffin tin with liners and set aside.
In a large bowl, briskly whisk the eggs for 20 seconds. Add in the vegetable oil, sour cream, vanilla, and buttermilk. (If you don't have buttermilk, combine 1/2 cup of milk with 1/2 tbsp. white vinegar in a separate cup and let sit for 5 minutes and then add to mixture.) Mix.
Add in the cake mix and pudding mix (both not prepared) and stir to combine. (Do not over-stir or beat in too much air.)
Fill up the liners 3/4ths the way full and bake for 17-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
Remove and allow to cool completely.
Frosting and Decorating
Frost the cupcakes smoothly with a butterknife.
Pour the white sparkling sugar into a bowl and dip the frosted cupcakes into the sugar. Gently press to coat all of the frosting in the sprinkles.
Frost the back of a black candy melt and adhere it to the bottom half of the cupcake. Add 2 M&M's for ears.
Use the black sparkle gel to add hair to the zebra (in between the M&Ms), stripes, eyes, and a smile face to the candy melt.