Orange Pomegranate Salad
This delicious winter salad is topped with mandarin oranges, pomegranate arils, candied almonds, sliced avocado, and feta cheese.
Servings 6 -8 as a side
- 8 cups (5oz.; 145g) mixed greens (spinach and lettuces)
- 2 cups (290g) clementine or mandarin oranges (~4-6 clementines)
- 3/4 cup (119g) pomegranate arils
- 1 large avocado chopped or thinly sliced (or use 2 small avocados)
- Optional: lemon (to keep the avocado from browning too quickly)
- 1/4 cup (30g) crumbled feta cheese
- 1/2 cup (61g) sliced honey-roasted almonds (See Note 1)
- 4 tablespoons (64g) juice from a large orange
- 1 teaspoon finely grated orange zest
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1/4 cup (50g) olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- scant 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- Pinch of ground pepper
- Optional: 1 teaspoon poppy seeds
DRESSING: In a blender or food processor, combine all of the dressing ingredients (except the poppy seeds). Pulse to blend and then taste and adjust seasonings to personal preference. Stir in optional poppy seeds. (The dressing is fairly thin, but it adheres to the lettuce/ingredients nicely!) Transfer dressing to a Mason jar and store in the fridge until ready to dress the salad. Shake before dressing the salad.
SALAD ASSEMBLY: Fill a large bowl or salad platter with the mixed greens. Top with peeled and segmented clementines. Add seeded pomegranate arils (See Note 2), and chopped or thinly sliced avocado. (If desired, squeeze some fresh lemon juice on the avocado to keep it from browning too quickly.)
DRESS: Right before enjoying the salad, toss it with the dressing, almonds, and feta cheese. You may not use all the dressing (depending on how dressed you like your salads). Store leftover dressing in the fridge for up to a week and use on other salads or drizzle over roasted vegetables. Once dressed, this salad does not sit or store well. If you'd like to prepare in advance, read the tips in the blog post.
Note 1: I use a bag of store-bought honey roasted almonds or make my own candied almonds (see blog post for recipe).
Note 2: Cut and deseed the pomegranate or to save time and effort, purchase pre-seeded pomegranate arils; these are typically sold in small plastic cups in the refrigerated produce section of the grocery store.
Serving: 1serving | Calories: 389kcal | Carbohydrates: 46g | Protein: 9g | Fat: 21g | Saturated Fat: 4g | Cholesterol: 9mg | Sodium: 301mg | Potassium: 991mg | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 28g | Vitamin A: 3694IU | Vitamin C: 123mg | Calcium: 140mg | Iron: 3mg