Crispy Chicken Salad
Check out our favorite Crispy Chicken Salad with an easy (five-ingredient) honey BBQ dressing. You can make this salad in 25 minutes or less with a few shortcuts!
Servings 3 -4 servings (as a meal)
- 2 cups store-bought crispy chicken strips, sliced (Note 1)
- 8 cups (~2 hearts) chopped romaine (chopped into bite-sized pieces)
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 cup Persian or English cucumber, thinly sliced (Note 2)
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced red onion (Note 3)
- 1 large (or 2 medium) ripe avocados, thinly sliced or chopped
- Optional: 1/3 cup honey-roasted or plain toasted almonds (Note 4)
Honey BBQ Dressing
- 2 tablespoons of EACH good-quality BBQ sauce and honey
- 1/4 cup regular full-fat mayo
- 1 tablespoon of EACH Dijon mustard and apple cider vinegar
- Fine sea salt and freshly cracked pepper
CHICKEN: Start by preparing chicken tenders according to package directions. Let cool to warm and then thinly slice.
SALAD: Chop the romaine, wash, and make sure it is thoroughly dried before adding to a large bowl (dressing won't adhere to wet lettuce). Add halved cherry tomatoes, thinly sliced cucumbers, sliced red onions, and sliced avocado to the bowl or place on individual plates. Add the sliced chicken on top. Drizzle with the dressing (see next step to prepare), toss to combine, and serve immediately.
DRESSING: Whisk the ingredients for the dressing, along with a big pinch of salt and black pepper. Whisk until smooth. If not using immediately, transfer to a mason jar and refrigerate. (Leftovers stay good for 5-7 days).
STORAGE: Dressed salad doesn't sit well, so if you want to have leftovers or make ahead, store the dressing separately from the salad.
Note 1: I use Tyson® Crispy Chicken Strips (not sponsored) which cook up in about 18 minutes. Make sure to cook them in the oven, not the microwave. Use whatever chicken tenders you like; you can even do homemade chicken strips. Unless they're little, you'll want to slice the chicken so they can be evenly distributed throughout the salad.
Note 2: I like English or Persian cucumbers; if the cucumber you get is extra wide you'll want to cut them into half moons.
Note 3: You can take away the bite of the red onions by submerging the pieces in a bowl of cold or ice water. Let them sit for at least ten minutes, stirring once or twice, before draining and using in this crispy chicken salad.
Note 4: Not pictured or in the video, but we've been adding these almonds (<click on almonds) the last few times we've eaten this salad and they're so good!
Serving: 4servings (as a meal) | Calories: 479kcal | Carbohydrates: 20.5g | Protein: 25.6g | Fat: 33.1g | Cholesterol: 58.7mg | Sodium: 1147.7mg | Fiber: 2.6g | Sugar: 3.8g