Sweet pulled pork made in the slow cooker and smothered in the sweetest honey-chipotle BBQ sauce. The pork is put in a tortilla with freshly grated cheddar cheese and baked in the skillet - no oven required for these pork taquitos!
- 2 and 1/2 - 3 pounds boneless pork tenderloin
- 2 medium yellow onions thinly sliced
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- Pinch ground cinnamon
Chipotle Honey BBQ Sauce
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 2/3 cup + 1 tablespoon honey
- 6 teaspoons chipotle chiles in adobo
- 1 and 1/2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Pinch of pepper
- 6- inch flour tortillas
- Cheddar Cheese
- Optional: Sour Cream, green onions, more BBQ sauce for dipping.
Remove the outer peels of the onion and thinly slice the onions. Layer a large slow cooker with the sliced onions and garlic.
Remove the packaging on the pork.
Combine the brown sugar, chili powder, salt, cumin, and cinnamon in a small bowl. Stir and then rub evenly over the pork.
Place the pork in the slow cooker and pour the chicken broth over the meat.
Cook for 6-8 hours on high or 9-11 hours on low.
Once the meat is completely cooked through, drain the liquid and discard (or eat) the onions.
Using two forks shred the pork.
Putting it together.
Mix the sauce with the pulled pork until completely combined.
Place about 3-4 tablespoons of the meat mixture in the middle of a flour tortilla. Top with 1-2 tablespoons of cheese and roll up tightly.
Place 3-4 of the taquitos in a pre-heated skillet (warm the skillet to medium heat and then turn to low heat to cook the taquitos on).
Using tongs, rotate the taquitos on to each side for 10-15 seconds or until browned and crispy.
If desired, you can cook these in the oven (425 degrees F for 10-13 minutes).
Enjoy with a dollup of sour cream and green onions if desired.
Pork rub adapted from Chow