- 1 (9 x 9 inches) baking pan and parchment paper
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) salted butter, softened
- 3/4 cup white granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs, separated
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste (or 2 teaspoons vanilla extract)
- 1 and 1/2 cups all-purpose white flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- Pinch of salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/3 cup jimmies multi-colored sprinkles
- 6 tablespoons salted butter
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 3-4 tablespoons heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon red food coloring
- Optional: more sprinkles for topping
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line a 9 x 9 inch pan with parchment paper and set aside.
Combine the butter and white sugar in a large bowl. Beat until the mixture is light and fluffy or about 2-3 minutes. Beat in 1 large and and then just 1 egg yolk (discard the whites of the second egg or save for another recipe). Beat in the almond and vanilla extracts.
In another bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, salt, and baking powder. Whisk together.
Combine the dry mixture to the wet ingredients and beat until just combined. Scrape the edges as you mix. Add in the sprinkles and gently fold into the dough.
Spread the cookie dough evenly along the bottom of the pan (it's a bit sticky and thick) and cook for 15-18 minutes or until very lightly browned along the edges. Be careful to not overbake. Allow to cool completely.
In a large bowl, beat the butter in light and creamy. Add in the powdered sugar and beat until just combined. Add in the vanilla extract and 3 tablespoons of heavy cream. Beat at high speed for 2-3 minutes. Add more powdered sugar if the frosting is too thin and 1 more tablespoon heavy cream if it is too thick. Beat in the food coloring.
Spread on the completely cooled sugar cookie layer. If desired, add more sprinkles on top.