Healthier Strawberry Muffins made with better-for-you ingredients. And a delicious streusel pecan topping.
More Healthier Baked Goods:
- 1 cup all-purpose flour or sub white whole wheat flour
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/2 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup chopped strawberries stems removed
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup vanilla Greek yogurt full fat recommended; don't use regular yogurt (must be Greek)
- 1/4 cup coconut oil measured when melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest optional*
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1/4 cup pecans very finely chopped (measure after chopping)
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar lightly packed
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil melted
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Spray and lightly flour (do not use muffin liners as these stick) 7-10 of the muffin cavities and set aside.
Measure 1 cup of flour. Remove 1 tablespoon from the full cup measurement of the flour and return it to the flour bag. In a bowl, toss together the remaining flour with the cornstarch, baking powder, and salt until well mixed. (Tip: when you measure the flour spoon and level the measurement so you don't pack in too much flour into the measuring cup)
Stir in the chopped strawberries, gently, until well coated in the flour mixture and set aside.
In another bowl (important to use 2 bowls so the ingredients don't get over-mixed resulting in dense muffins), lightly beat the egg with a fork for 20 seconds. Stir in the Greek yogurt, vanilla extract, and melted coconut oil until well combined.
Stir in the lemon zest and sugar and mix until smooth.
Add the dry ingredients to the wet and mix until JUST combined. Over-mixing will yield less optimal results.
Fill up 7-10 muffin tins close to the top. (These muffins won't rise much) and then fill the other empty spots with water to ensure even baking.
In a small bowl, combine the finely chopped pecans, cinnamon, and brown sugar. Knead with your hands to get the mixture to come together. Stir in the coconut oil and drop about 3/4 tablespoon on to the top of each muffin.
Bake for 25-30 minutes or until a fork when inserted in the center comes out clean.
*Lemon zest gives these a hint of lemon flavor and freshness; it is optional.